Thread: Yellow Teeth

Full Member Full Dog Member GemmaMama's Avatar

Yellow Teeth

the back teeth of my 8 month old puppy is yellow on the outside, and the inside of her incisors are brown. she doesn't have bad breath and i started brushing her teeth every 2 days (toothbrush and toothpaste) a month ago ever since i noticed that her teeth were getting yellow. prior to that she just lost her puppy teeth so i kinda put off toothbrushing for a while.
    do u think there is any cause for concern, given that other than the yellowing, she has no bad breath? she is fed on kibbles, and she gets raw hide to chew on very often.

also, the part of her gum below the tongue at the bottom of the mouth are black colored at some parts. i've only been exposed to one dog, so i'm not sure if this is normal?

Got Sheltie? Senior Dog Member+ weezyNollie's Avatar
    Has the dog ever been on any antibiotics?
    The Herding Herd.
    Brooke, Weezy, Ollie, and Ralphie

www.coloradoanimalrescue.org

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member
    Is it just the back teeth that are yellow/brown or is it all of her teeth?

I would be careful with the rawhides. We never gave out pups rawhides until they were older, almost a year, on the vet's instruction. You know puppies, they need to eat/chew on everything and swallow everything. But we never gave rawhides to them for fear that it would tear something on the way down
    How Do You Like Me Now?! -Toby Keith

Quote Originally Posted by weezyNollie
    Has the dog ever been on any antibiotics?
    yes she has, twice. once for infection on her tummy, the other time when she was spayed and the wound was inflamed.

Quote Originally Posted by **Avalanche**
    Is it just the back teeth that are yellow/brown or is it all of her teeth?
    Just the back teeth which are yellow on the outside, and the inside of the incisors. Some parts of the back teeth look especially nasty. I brush both inside and outside, but the yellow/brown parts don't seem to go away.

Quote Originally Posted by **Avalanche**
    I would be careful with the rawhides. We never gave out pups rawhides until they were older, almost a year, on the vet's instruction. You know puppies, they need to eat/chew on everything and swallow everything. But we never gave rawhides to them for fear that it would tear something on the way down
    i give her compressed raw hide, which she chews but doesn't swallow. i stopped giving her the smaller ones after she started gulping them down. so far, rawhide has not given her any problems.

Got Sheltie? Senior Dog Member+ weezyNollie's Avatar
    Potentially certain antibiotics given to young animals can cause stains on the teeth?

Have you asked your vet?
    The Herding Herd.
    Brooke, Weezy, Ollie, and Ralphie

www.coloradoanimalrescue.org

Banned (temp) Senior Dog Member
    Tetracycline antibiotics are known to cause yellowing of the teeth; I was going to ask you the same question until I read WeezyNollie's post asking you that very question and then you answered that your dog has indeed been on them so I would say that that is the very reason for the yellowing of your dog's teeth. It's nothing to worry about and besides which you are doing your best to keep them clean, try to give him some raw bones after each meal to keep his teeth clean and healthy.

no i haven't asked the vet. didn't think i need to yet cos she doesn't have bad breath, which i've read is the indicator of dental problems. so antibiotics may be a cause. anyone else has any views about the yellowing teeth?

I'd look into the antibiotic thing first.
    Otherwise you can try Nylabones and raw bones.
    I used to use the greenies but now I use raw bones they do a better job on my little dogs teeth. you might want to have the vet clean her teeth and then be very vigilant with brushing and bones. Kinda like starting with a 'clean slate'

yeah i'll probably bring her to a vet to do scaling. thanks guys for your advice.