Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the life expectancy of a Boxer?

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Question What is the life expectancy of a Boxer?

What is the life expectancy of a Boxer?

I'm asking because I have a 3 month old male (cute lil guy) and someone that saw him told my wife that Boxers only live til about the age of 7 and personaly, I think that's a bunch of bull.

Clydesdale™

I was always told that the short nose blunt muzzles dogs such as boxers,chows,peke,and the such have a life span of ten years,but how the dogs are cared for has mostly to do with it,good food,wormed and vet care,with a lotta love throwed in,they can live to a ripe age,I have a peke right now,who is 15 years old,and will be 16 next june,a chow that is eleven,another one that is 10,so don't worry about the life span,just all the love and good care,with your vets help,will live a long life,barring any unforseen illnesses,or accidents. hope your pup lives a long life.

Meanie in a truck Senior Dog Member+ agilitydog's Avatar
    I always thought it was somewhere around 10 as well. Smaller dogs have longer life expectancy than large dogs, but love her while you got her
    Learn from other's mistakes. You will not be alive long enough to make them all on your own
    www.sittraining.blogspot.com

BoxerProtector Senior Dog Member+ Vintage Boxers's Avatar
    On the whole most people will give you the estimate of 8-9 years. It also depends on health, breeding, and general care of the dog.

So for an average, the person that told you that is not far off. There are some that live ALOT longer, and some don't.

Sarah

Id say AVERAGE is about 10 years, some live longer, some less. Alot depends on the longevity of the line. Some lines seem to live longer than others.

I wish they lived longer, but, unfortunately, we cant keep them forever.

Pom Mom Senior Dog Member+ Deb's Tiny Dogs's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Wow - we've gone Boxer crazy on the forum!! Seems like everyone's talking Boxers! A Boxer, named Max, was the first dog my parents let us kids have when we were little.

"Go Boxer Power"

Actually, Max nipped at me once and got the heave ho, but overall he was a great dog, just somewhat rambunctious! He went to live with our cousins.
    Forever my boys, Bogey and Miko. All my love till we meet again.

Thanks

Thanks for your feedback all of you.

I sure love my lil Boxer, Tyson.
    Clydesdale™

i was actually wondering the same. i just found this site a few days ago and have had lots of great advise on training my 14 week boxer girl. ive been told by many people who have them the age is usually 10 years as they are prone to cancer aswell as the nose thing. im hoping my little girl is an exeption! she's getting bigger by the day. i never had a dog of my own before, the're a brilliant breed!

Theres really nothing with the Boxers muzzle that effects its lifespan - nothing at all. They can just be more prone to heat or cold, so use common sense when taking them outside in extreme temperatures.

The breed is more prone to cancer and heart problems - but honestly, the biggest issue IS the cancer.

Just enjoy them why you have them!
    Paula

Quote Originally Posted by CinemaBoxers View Post
    Theres really nothing with the Boxers muzzle that effects its lifespan - nothing at all. They can just be more prone to heat or cold, so use common sense when taking them outside in extreme temperatures.

The breed is more prone to cancer and heart problems - but honestly, the biggest issue IS the cancer.

Just enjoy them why you have them!
    I was always told the short nosed breeds have a shorter span because of breathing problems later in life,I know Keysha has a harder time then what she did,when she was younger,but then again,she's a old girl.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast