Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are (raw)Turkey necks OK?

Senior Dog Member Commanderkins's Avatar

Are (raw)Turkey necks OK?

Are they ok to give to my dogs when they have never had raw before? Or will the get sick? I am pretty sure those bones are safe or should I just avoid them all together?
    DOBERMOM:
    Dogs are not disposable

Beauceron Bliss Senior Dog Member+ rottiegirl's Avatar
    Yes! Many raw diets are based off of raw turkey necks and raw chicken necks!!!
    Nothing says "Oops!" like a wall of flame.

ok so turkey necks are on the yes list for fowl bones.....but what about my dogs who do not eat raw?
    DOBERMOM:
    Dogs are not disposable

Protector of Dobes Senior Dog Member+ Dobified's Avatar
    On the frozen Tundra in an igloo with a polar bear named whitey.
    Your dog should be ok.

Personally; I do not like turkey neck because they are too large and my dogs tend to swallow them whole or slightly chewed and then they choke. They scared the dickens out of me last time so I just stopped feeding them unless they are smaller. I was buying boxes of them and they were what I would call mammoth size.
    In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

Full Member Full Dog Member Aussie_Dog's Avatar
    It depends on the size of the dog. My dog is a medium (24" at the shoulder, 55 pounds) and he just gulps down chicken necks. Turkey necks would be better for him, but I haven't gotten any yet (maybe this Christmas). Then again, I give him the chicken necks when they're thawed out, so nothing's holding him back from gulping them anyways. Frozen, they'd probably be just fine.

It looks like the dog in your avatar is on the small size, so chicken necks would be better. I haven't heard of a dog choking on something that's too BIG for it, though
    "I'm a Canadian, actually. It's like an American, but without a gun."

I don't feed my Yorkies any bones of any kind. Too afraid of choking.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobified View Post
    Your dog should be ok.
    They scared the dickens out of me last time so I just stopped feeding them unless they are smaller. I was buying boxes of them and they were what I would call mammoth size.
    Yikes that would be scary! My dogs are pretty good about chewing things, they do not gulp or swallow large chunks of bones..etc...
    I tried getting some necks from my mom when whe made a couple of turkey's for her catering business, but she would not part with them!!! (she' loves making soup out of them)
    DOBERMOM:
    Dogs are not disposable

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_Dog View Post
    It depends on the size of the dog. My dog is a medium (24" at the shoulder, 55 pounds) and he just gulps down chicken necks. Turkey necks would be better for him, but I haven't gotten any yet (maybe this Christmas). Then again, I give him the chicken necks when they're thawed out, so nothing's holding him back from gulping them anyways. Frozen, they'd probably be just fine.

It looks like the dog in your avatar is on the small size, so chicken necks would be better. I haven't heard of a dog choking on something that's too BIG for it, though
    Yes my dogs are small, both are shih-tzu's, but do you think they will get a tummy ache from raw?(they rarely, get raw, I think once)
    DOBERMOM:
    Dogs are not disposable

Christopher's Mommy Senior Dog Member+ shanniesue2's Avatar
    I gave each of my dog half of the turkey neck left from Thanksgiving. Neither of them have ever had raw before and they did okay. I just made sure to give it to them about half way in between their meals so that they wouldn't have issues with digesting kibble and raw at the same time. Plus I gave them less kibble at each meal than I normally do. But they both did okay, no runs or anything.
    Save a life: adopt an animal
    Kitty: adopted in May 2000
    Georgie: adopted in June 2006
    Oliver: adopted in October 2006

Full Member Full Dog Member Aussie_Dog's Avatar
    Your dog might have some diarrhea if it's his first time eating raw meat, but he might be fine. My dog was fine, and many other dogs are fine, they just get bowel issues when they're on a raw diet, not a raw treat. It's called the detoxing period, when the body is getting rid of the crud (or whatever you want to call it) that's in the body, and replacing it with the RAW nutrients. It usually takes anything from a few days to a week, but again, that's if the dog is converted to an all-raw diet; simply feeding a turkey neck every few days shouldn't do that, unless your dog has a sensitive tummy. But however the dogs are fed, their bodies will adjust to the change in a pretty short time. And as a plus, if you start off slow (I'm guessing you're planning to feed chicken/turkey necks more often, but you're not going onto a RAW diet), then if you chose to move to a RAW diet later on, the dogs won't get such a shock to the system, so they may not even get diarrhea when that happens.
    "I'm a Canadian, actually. It's like an American, but without a gun."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast