Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would a Border Collie make a Service Dog?

No Artificial Flavor Senior Dog Member+ pupsnpigs's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Would a Border Collie make a Service Dog?

I have started a thread about a border collie mix we might adopt to be my service dog. We have an appointment to see him tomorrow. I know that border collies need a job. Do you think that a job as a service dog would be stimulating enough? Border collie owners, what do you do to keep them busy?

I want to know from first hand experience what a border collie is like.
    One Person. One Dog. One Team.

A service dog makes the best therapist. They are available 24/7, never breach confidentiality, and they don't charge you for listening.

Kool kat Senior Dog Member+ bernicesmama's Avatar
    Bernice is a bc/queensland mix (we think) and she loves to help around the house. it really pleases her to do a job whether it be take something to dad or open a door for me.

i do not know a lot about service dogs or what is required of them, but know that a bc loves it's owner and wants to please them. they also love to work, so if those are things that service dogs need, then i would guess they would be good. the only thing is, they may be too high energy for a service dog, but i would speak to your trainer about that.
    love more, laugh more and live more.

I guess it would depend on what the mix was. But we did have some bc's at the training center and they were fabulous workers. Great for hearing dogs. great for service around the home, like opening the fridge, switching lights on and off ,fetching things by name etc. I would go see what the dog is like, must have rock solid nerves and not growly, fearful or nippy.

Jurvelin's 11 Senior Dog Member+ carrie79's Avatar
    I think a BC would make a good service dog. They generally love their owners and really feed on doing a "job" for their loved ones. My friend has two that she trains. You can see in their faces ALL the time them watching her to see if she will give a command. I could see if it is well trained to be a great choice.
    He is polite, But the wicked take flight
    When they catch the sight of Zorro.
    Hes friend of the weak, And the poor and the meek, This very unique senor Zorro.

http://carrie.jurvelin.googlepages.com/home

Blog Entries
    mental stimulation tires out a BC better then any phyiscal exerize you could come up with. BCs are often hearing ear dogs and seizure alert dogs. plus they are smart enugh to pick up on the stuff you teach very quickly(within minutes) they LOVE to work for their masters just for the pleasure of being able to work for their masters. in short, yes I do think a BC would make a fanastic service dog.
    Shayna and Happy, Paisley, Rusty, Gem and Gyp plus the non poochie crew!

Baby, Misty and Ladybug waiting at Rainbow Bridge

prairieclan.com

I feel with the high intelligence of the BC and a great temperment which most have they would succeed highly being a Service Dog of many needs.
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
    Anatole France "

Bee-See-Luv-R Senior Dog Member+ Bclover92's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think they excell at this. i agree with cali mental stimulation is all they need every day with physical stimulation most days.
    Abby and the Defying Gravity Dogs
    Ammardans Skyes the Limit CGC AX OAJ XF 0/3 AXJ 1/10 MXF 4/10 MX <3 Heart Dog
    DarnFars Footprints on the Moon CGC NA OAJ NF 2/3 OA 1/3 AXJ 1/3 OF *My Reason to Smile*
    Heaven's Gift Levi Gabriel *Family Friend*

Beauceron Bliss Senior Dog Member+ rottiegirl's Avatar
    Depends... would they make a good Guide/Seeing Eye dog? I don't think so. They have WAY too much drive, I don't think they have the patience to wait with the owner and be calm.

I think they would be a GREAT service dog for someone who is wheelchair bound. Being asked to do various jobs all throughout the day is what BCs love! Not only that but they are intelligent enough to follow through with multiple commands, for example...

My Bernese mountain dog Willow can retrive, hold, and bring, if I ask her to bring the remote to (___person in hourse___) and hold she will bring it into the room she is in with them and then forget the command, she walks around wagging her fluffy tail, looking ultra cute... with the remote still in her mouth

If I ask my Beauceron to do this he will follow through with the command and can even go a step further Give-Bill-Remote-Bring-Sock
    Border Collies are smart like Beaucerons...
    Nothing says "Oops!" like a wall of flame.

Blog Entries
    yes I agree with rottigirl a seeing eye or guide dog would not be a BC type job not just because they are drivy but because they are not sturdy enugh, BCs are soft dogs who dont like a lot of pressure on them. but pretty much evry other type of service dog the BCs drive etc.. are huge assets
    Shayna and Happy, Paisley, Rusty, Gem and Gyp plus the non poochie crew!

Baby, Misty and Ladybug waiting at Rainbow Bridge

prairieclan.com

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member
    I have a large, male border collie and agree with the above postings - he loves to work his mind! I don't know that he would be good with sight impaired due to his size and drive, but if he has a job to do to "help" he is so happy. Be aware tho - bc's can be quirky. I think this is due to the sensativity of the breed and their intelligence level. Enjoy your bc!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast