Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: first time breeding tips!

Senior Dog Member

first time breeding tips!

hello, im new to this forum
    I own a jack russell called Lilly, she is nearly two. I am planing to have a litter of puppies with her. She is on her second heat and I have a male jack russell lined up for her. I would appreciate some tips for a successful pregnancy. We are having a bit of trouble with getting the dogs to mate I think Lilly is ready as she puts her tail to the side for male dogs and the disscharge has started to change colour, its not as red anymore its gone more yellow. But the male dog Jack hasent really done anything to her, we have had him around to our house and they mated but I dont think they tied as I have been told that they have to tie for atleast 10 mins to have a successful pregnancy. We also took Lilly around to jacks house but they dident do anything again so what should we do? should I wait a couple more days and try again? or will it be too late for lilly? thanks, any help will be appreciated as we would really like a litter of pups

Full Member Full Dog Member Red_ACD_for_me's Avatar
    Is your dog all checked for health and genetic disorders? Is she from QUALITY lines to be breeding her in the first place? Breeding isn't as simple as throwing two dogs together and are you ready for what breeding has to offer? Are you ready to possibly have your girl deliver her pups via C-section? There is also a chance that you could put your girl at risk and her and her pups could die while she is in labor. How big is your girl compared to the male? I hope you have done your homework before breeding and have talked to your vet. Maybe it is a blessing that she hasn't gotten pregnant yet and maybe the male doesn't even know what he is doing. How old is the male?
    Australian Cattle Dog
    RuffNreadys Red Devils Advocate AKA "Caiza" or "Cai"

Beauceron Bliss Senior Dog Member+ rottiegirl's Avatar
    atleast 10 mins to have a successful pregnancy.
    False!

I think you need to stop trying to breed her on this cycle... You also need to find a good mentor who has experience with QUALITY Jack Russel Terriers, go to your dog's breeder, or better yet a show and ask around.

It seems like you have quite a bit to learn before you actually breed!
    Nothing says "Oops!" like a wall of flame.

you can have a slip mating and still get puppies
    a dog is for life not just for Christmas

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member
    If your dog is "nearly" two she isn't really old enough to be bred anyway. I don't do hip clearences until the dogs are at least 2 years old. Have you researched both dogs' bloodlines to make sure they are a good genetic match and you aren't going to create puppies with all kinds of health problems? Just because both parents are healthy does not mean the puppies will be. Do you have homes lined up for puppies? Jacks can have large litters, even if it is their first. I agree with the others, we're not trying to be mean, but maybe more preperation has to be done before you go creating more dogs! Too many times I hear people complaining about breeders, that we are just adding to the over population of dogs. My argument has always been it is not us but the backyard breeders, and the "oops we forgot to spay her" litters that are contributing to the problem. Responsible breeders are trying to create healthy animals with good temperments that are far much less likely to end up in the pound. Especially because most responsible breeders will take dogs back, no matter what the age, if the owner can no longer keep them.

Glitches Be Crazy Senior Dog Moderator RoughCollies's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Okay, everyone, let's keep in mind that this breeding may have already taken place. Let's not scare off another member.

To the OP, I am not a breeder, I can't give you very much advice on the subject, but I can tell you this. I don't know if you did all the health clearances, conformation showing, dirt dog competitions, obedience, and anything else that should always be done before breeding a litter. Frankly, it's none of my business. If you didn't, I urge you to do so in the future, for the health of the puppies. But I won't jump down your throat about it.

What I highly encourage you to do, is find a JRT rescue that is in your area. Volunteer there and help save the lives of homeless Jacks. This might change your mind about breeding or it might encourage you to breed healthy and find REALLY good puppy buyers. Either (or both) will help the breed in the long run. Rescuing is a very rewarding "job" to do.

I wish you the best with your dog. In case she did take, do as much research now as humanly possible. There are a lot of educated people here that can help you.
    Glitch - Shannon Down Wreck it Ralph
    Spencer Sprout Dixie

Sugar Rush Whippets

Beauceron Bliss Senior Dog Member+ rottiegirl's Avatar
    Frankly, it's none of my business.
    I disagree. For every person involved with rescue I think we need to strongly educated and try to help/be involved with any breedings happening around us. Taken from someone who has held dogs as they are put to sleep, purebreds, designer mutts, and good old fashioned mixed breeds alike... I feel the need to stop as many uneducated/unplanned breedings as possible.
    Nothing says "Oops!" like a wall of flame.

Full Member Full Dog Member Red_ACD_for_me's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rottiegirl View Post
    I disagree. For every person involved with rescue I think we need to strongly educated and try to help/be involved with any breedings happening around us. Taken from someone who has held dogs as they are put to sleep, purebreds, designer mutts, and good old fashioned mixed breeds alike... I feel the need to stop as many uneducated/unplanned breedings as possible.
    AMEN! I totally agree!
    Australian Cattle Dog
    RuffNreadys Red Devils Advocate AKA "Caiza" or "Cai"

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member
    The problem is you can not stop someone from doing what they want. If you are forcefull about it, what will most likly to happen is that the person in questions does it anyway out of spite. ... "How dare they say I don't have the right to do this!" However if they are approched with mort tact you will have a better chance of swaying thier oppinion towards yours. It goes back to the saying "you can attract more flyies with honey than you can with salt."

P.S. I know nothing of breeding dogs.

Kool kat Senior Dog Member+ bernicesmama's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly_lover View Post
    hello, im new to this forum
    I own a jack russell called Lilly, she is nearly two. I am planing to have a litter of puppies with her. She is on her second heat and I have a male jack russell lined up for her. I would appreciate some tips for a successful pregnancy. We are having a bit of trouble with getting the dogs to mate I think Lilly is ready as she puts her tail to the side for male dogs and the disscharge has started to change colour, its not as red anymore its gone more yellow. But the male dog Jack hasent really done anything to her, we have had him around to our house and they mated but I dont think they tied as I have been told that they have to tie for atleast 10 mins to have a successful pregnancy. We also took Lilly around to jacks house but they dident do anything again so what should we do? should I wait a couple more days and try again? or will it be too late for lilly? thanks, any help will be appreciated as we would really like a litter of pups
    have you ever bred a dog before? have you been mentored? I think that mentoring under a breeder is the best way to learn. there are just so many variables and things that can go wrong.

also, there is no time limit for a tie, dogs can get pregnant very quickly. has jake ever been bred before? if not he maybe confused..not sure what to do then. I would really advise you to speak to an experienced breeder. pm me if you have any questions or need help finding a breeder to help you.
    love more, laugh more and live more.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast