Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diarrhea- changed my puppys food HELP

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Lightbulb Diarrhea- changed my puppys food HELP

I have a 12 week old lab and changed her food to Natural Balance. I made a huge mistake and didn't do the gradual change. I just switched it. Well its been 5 long diarrhea days and it doesn't seem like its every going to end!! Any suggestions ? Do I start a gradual change with her old food now? Or is it too late? Should I just stay with the new dog food. Thanks

I would mix about half and half to see if that helps. You wouldn't want to go back to her old food too much because her body is getting used to the new kind now.

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I would suggest going bland for maybe a day or two (rice & boiled chicken) to settle the stomach, and reintroducing the food. I agree not to go back because that will likely cause more stress on the system.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

I miss you Denali Senior Dog Member+ Dignity's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Like Moo said - go bland. I wanted to add, you should add some Pedialyte to her water to make sure she doesn't get dehydrated (I always just use the unflavored stuff). Perhaps you may want to fast your puppy for 1 feeding as well to help clear her system out before feeding bland.
    Beauty without Vanity; Strength without Insolence; Courage without Ferocity; and all the virtues of Man without his Vices. -- Lord Byron "Epitaph to a Dog"
    ♥ Bone Cancer Awareness ♥ RIP Denali ♥

TP Freak! Senior Dog Member+ Bosley Slave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Like Moo said - go bland. I wanted to add, you should add some Pedialyte to her water to make sure she doesn't get dehydrated (I always just use the unflavored stuff). Perhaps you may want to fast your puppy for 1 feeding as well to help clear her system out before feeding bland.

Good advice Digs. My vet always tells me to let them go overnight without food (make sure water is available though!) Try some organic canned pumpkin too.
    There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

Roxy still has diarrhea!!

Thanks for all the help. We tried the fasting over night. Didn't seem to help. I want to try the rice and chicken today. Do I just boil some chiken? How much? We've been giving her 1 1/3 cups of dog food 3 times a day. So should I give her 1 1/3 cups of rice and a 1/2 cup of chicken? I'm ready to try anything. The vet gave her diarrehea medicine... we have our last pill today... and that hasn't helped either. Could it be the food? I was told this was a great food. Any more suggestions? Thank you!!

Wiggle-butt Mommy Senior Dog Member+ Kim's Avatar
    I made the same mistake with my puppy when I got her...we had a week of the runs! I did the boiled chicken & rice & it just went right through her like water. I tried yogurt & that helped a little (1 tablespoon or so) then I heard about PUMPKIN! A tablespoon or so of canned pumpkin worked great! Now I keep it on hand...just in case.
    -Kim & Krew
    COFOUNDER OF THE SMOKING NUN CONVENT

So I started the rice and chicken this morning... I'll give it a go for a day. Then should I go back to the regular dog food and add a tsp of pumpkin at all three feedings? Or once a day? - is the canned pumpkin the same stuff you make pumpkin pie with? and what about the canned puppy food I used to add to her old food... should i add that too or wait on that? Thanks for all your help.... runny Roxy needs help and I do too!!!

Wiggle-butt Mommy Senior Dog Member+ Kim's Avatar
    I would stick with the dog food you plan on feeding & with a feeding schedule.

When Molly got the runs, I mixed about a tablespoon of the canned pumpkin (yes, the kind you make pumpkin pies with...my mom prefers organic, either way) with her canned food meal times. It took about 24 hrs. before her stools firmed up. Good luck!
    -Kim & Krew
    COFOUNDER OF THE SMOKING NUN CONVENT

I'm off to the store to buy some PUMPKIN! - Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast