Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chow Chow itching

Full Member Full Dog Member

Question

My Chow Chow will be seven months old the 22nd of January, 2004. Since we got him when he was seven weeks old, he itched a lot. He is always scratching and this seems to be worse at nights, when he will become vocal about it. The vet said that it could be either a hormonal thing, which if it is, will pass at about six months of age or it could be an allergy. We had him on all different kinds of 1st grade foods to see if it was food. The vet also said it could be that he is allergic to grass (how do you keep a dog away from THAT!). He was put on medication (Cortisone and Anti-histamine) to relieve the symptoms but not to target the actual problem.

He bites himself (like in search of fleas - which he doesn't have) which results in hair loss where he bites (his legs). About two weeks ago, white spots appeared on his tummy (this is the main area of his itchiness), there could be white spots elsewhere on his body but because he's a chow, that's the only place we can see any of his flesh.

I'm tired of the high vet's costs only to hear the same thing over and over and go home with anti-histamine and dog shampoo which does not seem to help at all. I've been to more than one vet with the same verdict.

Is there anything that they overlook? Is there anything I can do to help my pup?

My dog went through that, at about the same age. He's half chow, too! Hmmmm.

I spent hundreds of dollars on the vet and medicine and shampoos, and nothing worked. I finally figured out that he had food allergies. I removed soy beans (that's a common allergen) from his diet and saw immediate results. Corn, wheat, and chicken by-products are also common allergens. When you read the label on the dog food, make sure that it doesn't have whatever ingredient you're eliminating (of course), but ALSO make sure that corn, wheat, and chicken by-products aren't among the first 4 or 5 ingredients listed. A lot of times, those fillers are the main component of the food and they can cause problems.

Good luck!

Wink

Thank you!

We were also told that Chows get this a lot because of their thick coats if it is not properly groomed often, they develop hot spots. My Chow doesn't have these and he and my Yorkie gets groomed every evening.

I will try to get him on Allergen free dogfood but that is so expensive here, that has to be our last resort!

My dog did get hot spots. It was HORRIBLE!!!

I've fed him Nature's Choice (I think that's what it's called), Eukanuba, and Iams without any problems. We're feeding Iams old dog formula now, and he's doing marvelously! A lot of people recommend against those brands, but I've had very good luck with them personally.

Good luck! I know how frustrating this can be!!

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

check into willard water have heard wonderful results in hot spots, itching. dilute 2T.to 1 gal check your local health food store or on line lots of interesting uses

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

california natural lamb and rice is a good food for dogs with allergies and all natural

I am not too sure if I will find Willard water here in South Africa but I will find out from a health shop. We don't have a lot of good dog food around here. The only good dog food here is obtainable only from a vet and are very expensive. The choices we usually have are Eukanuba, Royal Canin and Vet's Choice. I buy the expensive stuff because I want my dogs to be healthy and this food makes their coats soft and shiny. The food we get here in the local stores and pet shops will let your hair rise! Unfortunately that is all that most of the people can afford!

Oh, and Bearsmom...I would love to see a picture of your baby

He's kind of hard to see because he's all black. I think I'm getting good pictures of him, and then I see he's just a blob. Poor guy! [img]smile.gif[/img]

You can go to Pictures of the Kids and see all of our 'kids.' Bear looks more like a schipperke on steroids than a chow chow or border collie.

Talking

Your babies are BEAUTIFUL!!!

Max ( my Chow) is not too photogenic either! He's so black, on photos it's hard to tell just what that black ball of fur is exactly! Even when his mouth is open on a photo, you see only the fleck of blue black tongue! And I am not a hot photographer either, so that doesn't help him much, shame!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast