Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UKC agility equipment

Beauceron Bliss Senior Dog Member+ rottiegirl's Avatar

UKC agility equipment

Most of us are familiar with AKC equipment, but what about UKC? Here is some agiltiy equipment that is exclusively UKC. (Well, almost exclusive in some cases)

'
    The Sway Plank, dog has to walk over.

This one site called the "Sway walk" while another called it the "sway bridge"

Those are all crawl tunnle pictures, the height if changed according to the dog, as our little Boston friend demonstrates.

The Sit-Over jump, just like the name says, Sit, over Sit!

The log jump

Pause Box, used directly on the ground.

Window Jump, I think AKC still has these, but I have never seen one used.

That is called a crossover, again, I THINK this is a "discontinued" AKC item. It's very difficult b/c the dog must take a cue from the handler which direction to go.

Last but not least, the hoop tunnel!

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed!
    Nothing says "Oops!" like a wall of flame.

Meanie in a truck Senior Dog Member+ agilitydog's Avatar
    Good thread. UKC is different but fun. Haven't competed yet but have done run thrus.

Also for the weave poles there is a certain line you cannot cross. It keeps you a certain distance from the poles
    Learn from other's mistakes. You will not be alive long enough to make them all on your own
    www.sittraining.blogspot.com

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Goodness, I would bomb a lot of those obstacles. LOL

I *think* the Agility Association of Canada still has crossovers and raised tunnels, but they are rarely used.

They discontinued the pause box because they had issues discriminating tails out of the box, a lot of hair, paws on the edge, yadda, yadda... Retired to strictly table for that.

Kirby would LOVE a sway bridge- he loves playground equipment that looks like that... but I think it would jump the sway plank, jump the sit-over-jump, and probably try to weave the crawlie thing. lol.

I wish the AAC had a weave line like that, agility dog. Kirby is an all obstacle dog, and I have a tendency to stand too close for his confort and push him out.

I saw this on a site once... It surely isn't standard equipment anywhere, but it made me laugh

♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

That's really neat!

I've seen a few of the equipment mentioned on tv where most of the competitors had english accents... LOL..

The crossover definitely looks challenging.

Moo- ROFL

Border Collie Freak Dog Moderator Rain's Avatar
    I thought they were getting rid of the sit-over jump.. which I call deck jump deck I HATE that piece of equipment lol. I've never seen a crossover dog walk, that's kinda interesting. Down crawls are fun, though except when dogs cheat and go out the side.
    "If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan.

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rottiegirl View Post

That is called a crossover, again, I THINK this is a "discontinued" AKC item. It's very difficult b/c the dog must take a cue from the handler which direction to go.
    I looked this up, because I know that I've seen these in AAC agility... I have not been trained to use one because it is not common to see anymore. My trainer has one though, we did once practice with two perpendicular sides of one. I watched an AAC trial on TV once and there was a segment on how to train a dog on a crossover dog walk.

The Cross-Over

A crossover is a contact obstacle. Picture a table (3x3 feet) 4 feet off the ground with four ramps (one on each side) going up to the tabletop. The ramps are just like those of the dog walk. If viewed from above it makes a "+" shape with 12 foot "legs". Under some rules one or more of the ramps may be removed, so it is essential that the central "tall table" be sturdy and stable independent of the ramps.
    A crossover may be used instead of a dogwalk on courses under USDAA, AAC, NADAC, and ASCA rules. It is not a legal obstacle for AKC or UKC agility. When the crossover is used in a regular agility course the judge specifies which ramp the dog is to go up, and which they are to descend. So the tabletop becomes a crossroad requiring good handler timing and control. Depending on the course, you may need to direct your dog to go left, right, or straight ahead. What makes the straight ahead option tricky is that the handler has to move further away from the dog to go around the side ramps. And of course you still need to worry about the dog hitting the contact zones. Also, the dog is above the handler's eye level. Many dogs who are usually responsive to directional commands will think that the rules are different when they are taller than you. It doesn't take much training to convince the dog that the same rules apply, no matter your relative eye-levels. However for dogs and handlers with little experience on crossovers this can cause unexpected results. Obedience to directional commands at a height is something that can be practiced on children's playground equipment. Combined with good dogwalk skills this will allow dogs and handlers to be prepared even if they don't have a crossover to practice upon.
    (Sally Sheridan)

♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

Beauceron Bliss Senior Dog Member+ rottiegirl's Avatar
    hmmm, I didn't know that about the crossover, I have been told it's very difficult to set up and regulate... I don't know details, if I did I would share!
    Nothing says "Oops!" like a wall of flame.

Bee-See-Luv-R Senior Dog Member+ Bclover92's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thats cool thanks for posting that, i have seen most of these becasue my bosses husband makes some of these. i have also seen these in shows and they use them for cop dog training wich i have seen many places.
    Abby and the Defying Gravity Dogs
    Ammardans Skyes the Limit CGC AX OAJ XF 0/3 AXJ 1/10 MXF 4/10 MX <3 Heart Dog
    DarnFars Footprints on the Moon CGC NA OAJ NF 2/3 OA 1/3 AXJ 1/3 OF *My Reason to Smile*
    Heaven's Gift Levi Gabriel *Family Friend*

Bee-See-Luv-R Senior Dog Member+ Bclover92's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    i just realized the crawl tunnel pic with the red is from my bosses husbands site see. I realized i recognized the gate and fence in the back and sure enough it is.

http://www.carlson-agility.com/index...=8&prevstart=0
    If you hit zoom in under the pic it brinigs up that pic.
    Abby and the Defying Gravity Dogs
    Ammardans Skyes the Limit CGC AX OAJ XF 0/3 AXJ 1/10 MXF 4/10 MX <3 Heart Dog
    DarnFars Footprints on the Moon CGC NA OAJ NF 2/3 OA 1/3 AXJ 1/3 OF *My Reason to Smile*
    Heaven's Gift Levi Gabriel *Family Friend*

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

4-Her

I'm 14 and I have a almost 6 year old Smooth Collie named Wit. We are enrolled in 4-h agility witch is basically UKC agility.... In 2005 we won the Agility I at the stat fair. This last year,(In agility II) he mist the very last weave pole. But it was not his fault, you see the way it was set up I almost ran into a tunnel, so I moved. He thought that that was a cue to move out of the weave poles. But any way we still got in to the 5th place.
    I think it is so cool that you have this site.

This is my dog....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast