Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is my dog Having a Miscarriage???

Full Member Full Dog Member akacutie2006's Avatar

Unhappy Is my dog Having a Miscarriage???

Hi,
    I am new to breeding dogs. I have 2 French bulldogs and I would consider myself a small hobby breeder. I take very good care of my dogs and love them dearly. Please only reply if you have helpful advise to offer.

So I have a 2 1/2 year French bulldog female that was bred last month for the first time. She was bred first on Jan 7th and then every other day until the 12th which was the last day she stood for the male. Yesterday I noticed her licking herself a lot and I looked to see why she was doing this. I then noticed a small amount of brown mucus was coming out of her vulva. I called my vet and they said to bring her on down to be checked out.

So My vet examined her and she didn't seem very concerned she said that because it was a brown color that it was most likely some residual blood left from the breedings that took place last month? Has anyone ever had this happen before? My vet also said that if Bunny is was having a miscarriage that there wasn't anything that they could do?

My vet then said that they could do an ultrasound to check to see if Bunny she was even pregnant from the breedings that took place. So I said yes to the ultrasound. I had planned on bringing her in for one anyway but I had wanted to wait until she was a little further along.

They took her in the back room to do the ultrasound. The ultrasound confirmed that she does have puppies in her belly!! They showed me four pictures that they took. My vet said that they looked like a good size and estimated them to be about 32 days along, she thought that Bunny must of took on the first mating. But My vet couldn't get Bunny to sit still long enough on her back to see if the puppies hearts were beating? Because of the mucous discharge she didn't want to stress Bunny out any more then she had to.

So should I be concerned that she wasn't able to find the puppies heartbeats?

Is there anything that I should be doing to prevent her from having a Miscarriage?

What are the signs to look for if Bunny is having a miscarriage?

Has anyone here ever had a pregnant dog who had a brown mucous discharge before? Is this normal?

I tried looking for information on the Internet but I haven't been able to find out much information on dog miscarriage?

Thanks for all your help
    Last edited by akacutie2006; 02-09-2007 at 06:28 AM.

My girl had the same type of discharge you have described, also at around day 30-32. I also took her to the vet where pregnancy was confirmed and everything else checked out normal. My vet gave her some antibiotics just to be safe.

She whelped a healthy litter of 11 puppies, they are now 8 weeks old and doing fabulous.
    You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Congratulations, on your big litter of puppies!!!

It makes me feel better already to know that this has happened to someone else's dog too.
    Thanks

Bunny had some more of the brown mucous discharge yesterday. So now thats two days in a row. I hope I don't see anymore of that discharge today.

meany patrol deputy Senior Dog Member+
    my pom I had did that all thru her pregnancies and because she was a black and white particolor it really made her look awful and dirty but healthy pups both times.
    If there is a miscarriage sadly there isn't much you can do but take her to the vet afterwards to make sure everything is clean so she doesn't get an infection
    Good luck
    Life is short. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that makes you smile."

Thanks for the wish of good Luck. I think I'm gonna need it!!

So your pom had this discharge thru both of her pregnancies?? I wonder what causes it? I'm glad to hear that my little Bunny isn't the only dog to have this problem....

I just hope that she has a healthy litter of puppies. There's just not much I can do I guess, except wait and see how it goes. It's the waiting that is killing me!!!

If the vet has checked her out and say that she is ok - then try not to worry about it - you worrisome vibes may go through to the dam.

As far as preventing a miscarriage - if it is going to happen then it will be more likely be happening for a reason - just carry on doing what you have been doing with her - same exercise routine etc - keep her as fit as possible.

Good luck.
    A Lab and two Border Collies - can it get any better than this......

I have no experience to share with you, but wanted to wish you the best with mom & pups I ove Frenchies! Will you share pictures? PLEASE?

Thanks for the advice Trace...I'll try not to worry about it too much. I defiantly don't want Bunny to pick up any bad vibes from me...

whimzikal I'll take some new pictures of her today and try to post them in here.

I think I figured out how to post pictures, lets see if it works

The first picture is of her face and the second one is of her big belly. She is 34 days pregnant today!!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Crazy4Canines Senior Dog Member+ EmmaGirl's Avatar
    Hi and welcome to the forum. Congrats on your expected puppies. I tried to find links as to your question of discharge but couln't, so I'm thankful that others could help you. I did find this one...which I think is a 'must see' for any prospective breeder:
    CANINE BREEDING AND REPRODUCTION - Chinaroad Lowchens of Australia

EG
    EG, Emma, Dak & Maddie
    We long for an affection altogether ignorant of our faults. Heaven has accorded this to us in the uncritical canine attachment. ~George Eliot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast