Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue Heeler rescues in Canada??

I want more Chi's!!! Senior Dog Member+ melinda&buster's Avatar

Blue Heeler rescues in Canada??

Hello! Does anyone have any info or links to any blue heeler dog resuces in British Columbia, Canada?

Also anyone own blue heelers? What are they like? Good with cats and other small dogs?

If I resuced one it would probably older and wouldnt grow up from a young pup around cats and my small dog, would that be a big problem? Are they known to go after cats or small dogs??? I wouldnt want to put ANY of my other animals in harms way

thanks melinda
    MC Blue Star Stables
    Save lives spay and nueter
    your pets!

Anyone? no one owns this breed on here?
    MC Blue Star Stables
    your pets!

i would just google some sites and read up on them.. blue heeler is the same as a australian cattle dog isnt it?? Most australians consider them to be. I have found some sites that you might like to look at. i owned an acdx staffy and he was the best dog i have ever owned ,... he never had an issue with cats or smaller animals and loved kids. I raised him from pup.. but i didnt have kids till he was 3yrold and i never had cats till he was 8 yr old, and i still had no issue.. but i knew another acd that was bad around anything other then owners, i think it just depends on individual dog.

http://www.cattledog.com/

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/australiancattledog.htm

http://www.blueheeler.com/
    You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, 'My God, you're right! I never would've thought of that!' -- Dave Barry

You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, 'My God, you're right! I never would've thought of that!' -- Dave Barry

Thanks alot Jacs!!!!!
    MC Blue Star Stables
    your pets!

Senior Dog Member Commanderkins's Avatar
    ummm no you do not want a heeler mel...no offense to heeler owners on here......they are high maintenance working dogs, and if they do not have a job they will make their own...EG: stalking cats, and horses(my friends heeler did that to her own cat, kids and pony.)
    I think they are cute and all, but you probably want one a little more laid back.
    DOBERMOM:
    Dogs are not disposable

Wyatt's Mommy Senior Dog Member+ HeavenlyJumper's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Commanderkins View Post
    ummm no you do not want a heeler mel...no offense to heeler owners on here......they are high maintenance working dogs, and if they do not have a job they will make their own...EG: stalking cats, and horses(my friends heeler did that to her own cat, kids and pony.)
    I think they are cute and all, but you probably want one a little more laid back.
    I am the mommy of a heeler I am inclined to agree with the above poster. They as a breed, need room to run and a lot of mental stimulation. They are a working dog by nature and will devise ways to exercise their brains...even if that means digging or chasing cats. They can be protective and often don't like sharing a home with another animal. (I mean if they are not raised together)

They are a smart, fun and great breed...just not for everyone.

You had me at "woof".

My brother owns a blue heeler. They are really smart animals! They are alot like Border collies, and need a job to do. they are not a breed that can just lay around all day and not work.

They can do well with cats and otehr animals if raised with them. An adult dog may have probelms adjusting if they were not brought up with them.

But it looks like you have got some great advice so far too!

They have lots of attiude so you will need to do training as with any breed.
    A dog that can do back flips, all by stepping on the ears, is what we call, OUR KIDS

Oh and my brother's dog, Chevy is her name. She is VERY protective of him, and also her family. You will have to prepare for this, in ways of dealing with it and such!
    A dog that can do back flips, all by stepping on the ears, is what we call, OUR KIDS

Senior Dog Member Commanderkins's Avatar
    You know we all love Wyatt HJ!!!
    DOBERMOM:
    Dogs are not disposable

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast