Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Sore On Face

Bad Sore On Face

Kip now has a really bad sore on his face from the gentle leader. Everyone has been very careful with him, I'm not sure why this happened
    I put sone neosporin on the wounds, they already had scabs so healing is in progress. I put his regular collar back on, I'm so upset.
    I'm Inlove For Keeps
    Never lie to your dog, he knows you better than your conscience.

was it left on him full time? the nylon on those can burn them with tugging pulling. Personally I am not a fan of them for many untrained dogs because if a dog dashed forward with one on or falls it can cause permenant neck injuries easily.

water dogs rock!! Senior Dog Member+ HovawartMom's Avatar
    Is he pulling a lot on the gentle leader?.You could try the harness from the same brand.
    I wouldn't use it,until the soar has desapeared
    It might not be the right thing for him.
    Have you tried the prong?
    It work great on a strong puller.

I have know this to happen with some of the larger breeds who are very active. It easily could have happened from him trying to get it of and rubbing on it. Let it heal and if your willing, go back to short spirts of using it. Sometimes it may help to use a 2 leash method (1 to the head halter and one to his regular collar) and see if you can do enough proactive training to get him to focus more on you and only engage the gentle leader in hyperactive moments. I still think you should work with him on it until his training is up to par so you aren't at risk for him to drag you again. Give you baby a hug from us and get to work on your training homework! Remember, your goal is to get him to pay more attention to you than anything else around. Yah, much easier said than done with a lab, I know! Good luck and hopes for a quick healing and heeling!

Quote Originally Posted by GSDNewbie View Post
    was it left on him full time? the nylon on those can burn them with tugging pulling. Personally I am not a fan of them for many untrained dogs because if a dog dashed forward with one on or falls it can cause permenant neck injuries easily.
    I have often wondered about that. I am so glad you said that. It just seems that an untrained dog that bolted forward could seriuosly do damage to his neck by flipping his head around so fast. Just would scare me. I don't use them...

Agility Addict Senior Dog Member+ assortedagility's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Obedog View Post
    I have often wondered about that. I am so glad you said that. It just seems that an untrained dog that bolted forward could seriuosly do damage to his neck by flipping his head around so fast. Just would scare me. I don't use them...
    Yup, this is ALWAYS the first thing I warn about with this head collar. It CAN be a useful tool, but it has its dangers along with the rest.

I'm sorry your dog has gotten sores from this collar. You have to make hte decision. Did his behavior improve? Was he learning? If so, if you DO choose to continue using this training aid, you MUST be so much more careful to decrease the risk of this happening again. Ifyou didn't see all that great of improvement, I'd forget the head collar.

Have you tried a harness? The only type of harnesses I recommend are the ones that snap to the leash in the front. Any kind of harness(head collar, or for the body) should NOT be left on other than for training. This prevents the dog from pulling.

There's also the prong. It looks inhumane, but it is much more humane than choke chain collars. It applies pressure all around the neck, is self correcting, and studies have prven that it does not damage the neck when compared to the chain chokes.

Whatever tool you do decide to use, they are only that. Tools. Other training must still continue. Bring out those really yummy treats and do attention training! Teach your dog to pay attention on command. If you'd like more detailed explanations how I teach this, I'd be glad to type it out. But wouldn't want to write a book right here and hijack your thread if you did not want me to!

i'm looking into different collars, i'll check out the prong
    I'm Inlove For Keeps

You didnt answer if it was left on full time?

water dogs rock!! Senior Dog Member+ HovawartMom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Citygirl View Post
    i'm looking into different collars, i'll check out the prong
    If you go with the prong,ask a trainer to help you choose the right size as well as to show you where to set it,on the neck and how to use it,propally.
    Also,never leave it on,all the time,cos it's a training tool and he could hurt himself.

Quote Originally Posted by GSDNewbie View Post
    You didnt answer if it was left on full time?
    No, just for the night.
    I'm Inlove For Keeps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast