Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to take puppy away from mom

When to take puppy away from mom

As you probably all know by now we are going to try and breed our dog next year. I want as much information as possible so please feel free to jump right in.........When is the best time to take puppy away from mom and give him/her to their new owner. Does it depend on the breed? I have heard 6 weeks, I have heard 8 weeks and I have heard 3 months. Any advice?

Crazy Like My Boxers Senior Dog Member+ BratBoxers's Avatar
    8 weeks IMO should be the earliest. Should never give shots before that age IMO. They need at least that long to socialize with mum, she actually teaches the pups certain things.
    Bratcher's Kentucky Sunrise, CGC
    RagTyme Bratcher's Box office hit

meany patrol deputy Senior Dog Member+
    PA law states it is illegal to sell, buy or trade a pup or kitten before the age of 8 weeks.
    Now some tiny breeds should IMO wait till 10-12 weeks to leave mom.
    Tiny ones can have trouble regulating their blood sugar levels.
    I like to make sure my pups are totally eating from the bowl and knowing that the food is there to eat not play in. lol plus they learn alot from mom and siblings.
    Life is short. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that makes you smile."

So you would say basically after the first set of shots? We came very close to purchasing a Great Pyr pup last year (before we got Uma of course!) One of the things that set off the red flags is that this particular breeder was selling his pups at 6 weeks and did not have the first shots administered to his pups. According to him he had been breeding for close to 20 years and through his own personal experience found that most new owners prefer to take the pup to their vet and have the first set administered. To me there was some concern......sorry pal no deal.

Beauceron Bliss Senior Dog Member+ rottiegirl's Avatar
    8 weeks minimum.
    Nothing says "Oops!" like a wall of flame.

I feel 8wks is the earliest but 10wks is ideal. Anytime before 8wks is too young. 10wks allows them to socialize and learn more from mom & littermates. JMO

When we got Uma from our breeder the breeder insisted on 3 months (12 weeks). Maybe it's different for larger dogs? Why I don't know. Maybe it was just their practice. In the long run it was for the best. The Uma's first set of shots were given she had already had her first deworming and it sure made housebreaking her so much easier with just those few extra weeks for being kept with the mom.

water dogs rock!! Senior Dog Member+ HovawartMom's Avatar
    Legally,not before 8 weeks but more and more breeders go for 10 to 12 weeks cos they believe they are better socialized,at that age..

Agility Addict Senior Dog Member+ assortedagility's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Many very small dog breeders insist on 12 weeks, where as large dog breeders will let them go at 8 weeks.

Depending on the size of your dog, anywhere in between those would be fine, though the longer you let them stay with the litter mates, the less problems the new owners should have. While with the litter and mom, the puppies learn bite inhibition. This helps the puppies to not be out of control play biters when they go to their new home. Also, if you have them this long, you can most certainly start on their potty training to also help the new owners out. And, just one more that pops directly into my mind, is that you as the breeder can do whatever possible to make sure they have the best start possible with socialization. New owners might try hard, but still not know what exactly they need to do. So, you could get the puppies out and about and a great start on socialization, which will make the new owner's job a bit less frustrating or unsuccessful.

Quote Originally Posted by golden&hovawart View Post
    Legally,not before 8 weeks but more and more breeders go for 10 to 12 weeks cos they believe they are better socialized,at that age..
    wow you have a law on what age you can sell a pup over there, over here there is no law i believe.
    I know of several pups sold way before that and it makes me quite mad, we should have that law too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast