Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food Questions

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Food Questions

I've read alot about cats and their food. With cats any food with by meat products are very bad for them, is it the same with dogs? My friend is giving me her dog for a few months or maybe forever. Her dog will not stop farting! She has been on iams and that made it so its not as bad but gave her diareaha pretty bad. Now shes on purina and she just stinks, but I don't know about that brand. BTW shes almost a year old boxer.

Senior Dog Member weimlover0816's Avatar
    This could be a digestion issue with changing the food so suddenly. Usually it is recommended that the new food be mixed in gradually over week or so to get the dog used to it!!

BTW, welcome to the board!
    got weimaraner?

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mmm... meat isn't bad for dogs.

Could be a specific ingredient that she's allergic to, or something else that she's getting in to. What was your friend feeding her before she came to you? You should stick to that, or make a slow, gradual transition. A quick change can be tough on doggy stomachs.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

Also, adding a tablespoon-ish of yogurt to her dinner every night will help, too. The enzymes and cultures in the yogurt aid in digestion and will help the farting issue!!
    got weimaraner?

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Oh yes, that's a good one. Yoghourt, or cottage cheese is good. I've heard that pumpkin is good as well, but I've never tried it with mine.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

Moo, does pumpkin help with the gas, too? I know it can be used to harden the stool.... didn't know about the gas!!
    Last edited by weimlover0816; 12-13-2004 at 07:42 PM. Reason: If I had of taken typing I would have failed....
    got weimaraner?

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by weimlover0816
    Also, adding a tablespoon-ish of yogurt to her dinner every night will help, too. The enzymes and cultures in the yogurt aid in digestion and will help the farting issue!!
    Will it work on hubby? Can I buy it in case lots? Between Ariel & hubby it's a good thing I quit smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by UTCandy112
    I've read alot about cats and their food. With cats any food with by meat products are very bad for them, is it the same with dogs?
    Do you mean meat by-products? Byproducts are not so good for dogs or cats. But cats need to have meat products in their diet. It is very bad for cats not to have meat in their diet, just as long as it's not byproducts.

Quote Originally Posted by DaxAriel's Toy
    Will it work on hubby? Can I buy it in case lots? Between Ariel & hubby it's a good thing I quit smoking.
    LOL, Dax... try it out and let is know how it goes!!
    got weimaraner?

Full Member Full Dog Member Bobbi's Avatar
    I feed my dogs Solid Gold Wolf Cub & man, gas city! It's a great dog food, but wow! It gives all my dogs gas.I'm going to have to try something different as the dogs like to come in the house & visit and it's not pleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by UTCandy112
    I've read alot about cats and their food. With cats any food with by meat products are very bad for them, is it the same with dogs? My friend is giving me her dog for a few months or maybe forever. Her dog will not stop farting! She has been on iams and that made it so its not as bad but gave her diareaha pretty bad. Now shes on purina and she just stinks, but I don't know about that brand. BTW shes almost a year old boxer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast