Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Poodle's Limping. UPDATE!! Added onto first post.

My Poodle's Limping. UPDATE!! Added onto first post.

My poodle has suddenly started limping. He won't even step on his hind leg. I have pulled, prodded, massaged, and checked him over for anything that might have been in his toes or on his legs or bum, nothing. He won't whimper or care if you touch his leg. I even held up his opposite leg so he had to put weight on his sore leg and he didn't yelp or seem to care, but he carries it high so it won't touch the ground when he walks. He will still walk around and doesn't seem to want to just lay around. Still jumps up and off the bed.
    I need him to be better for tomorrow b/c we have agility tomorrow!! What could be wrong.

***Update***
    Stryder is looking much better today. More and more he is starting to use his sore leg and not hop around. I have decided to cancel his appoinment that I had for today, of course I can reschedule it for tuesday if his leg isn't healed up by then. I will let you know what happens!
    Last edited by MysticRealm; 05-27-2007 at 07:21 AM.
    Priscilla
    Proud owner of Bear (Pomeranian/Shih Tzu/Terrier) and Mystic Realm aka. Markie (Thoroughbred) And my Miniature Poodle, Stryder.

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    How long has this been going on for?

Kirby does this occasionally, because his legs fall asleep. Usually it returns back to normal in about an hour. I never knew how agile my dog was on three legs, he jumped up and down steps and everything. lol
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

it;s been going on since about 5:30 or a bit earlier and now it's 9:00 here and he still doing it, it may even be getting worse, I am gonna take him outside to potty and stuff see if he will walk abit (and use it) to see if he will walk it off a bit.
    Priscilla
    Proud owner of Bear (Pomeranian/Shih Tzu/Terrier) and Mystic Realm aka. Markie (Thoroughbred) And my Miniature Poodle, Stryder.

Pom Mom Senior Dog Member+ Deb's Tiny Dogs's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm not so sure I'd have him do any agility until you know what's going on and it's healed.

My Poodle started doing that one day and it turned out to be luxating patella, where the knee's slip out of place. My dog is fairly severe and he takes daily medicine since he's too old for the surgery.
    Last edited by Deb's Tiny Dogs; 05-25-2007 at 09:31 PM.
    Forever my boys, Bogey and Miko. All my love till we meet again.

he does have a slightly loose knees (though it's never actually slipped out) but I would think he would whine or have issues with me touching it and moving it all around and he doesn't.
    Priscilla

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticRealm View Post
    he does have a slightly loose knees (though it's never actually slipped out) but I would think he would whine or have issues with me touching it and moving it all around and he doesn't.
    Got me stumped. That's exactly what Kirby is like when his legs fall asleep. He carries it so hight that it looks like he's missing a leg.

There is no pain, and nothing in the toes, so it does sound like a circulation issue like he had an elastic around his ankle or something? Hmmm
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

Pom Mom Senior Dog Member+ Deb's Tiny Dogs's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticRealm View Post
    Mine doesn't whine or cry and he also holds the back leg up so high he looks three legged. I'm not saying that's what it is, but I'd definately have it checked out. Poodles are notorious for it. Mine takes glucosamine and chondroitin.
    Forever my boys, Bogey and Miko. All my love till we meet again.

Full Member Full Dog Member
    When you dog has loose patellas, its best not to do agility with them at all. If he does major damage to it, you will be up for thousands. I certainly wouldnt be taking him to agility tomorrow. He will be favoring it more afterwards.

Has he been running around the backyard like an idiot, spinning on a dime, I know my lot do that here, its so easy for them to hurt themselves.

Anyway thats my advice, hope he is ok.

Firstly I would say agility is out of the question until you know exactly whats wrong.

Have you checked his back, sometimes the pain can be from further up and the leg holding can be to compensate. PersonallyI would be thinking its his knees but I would go to the vet and get his legs back and neck checked just incase. Hope hes ok.

Thanks guys, he is still holding it up today. I just felt down his spine and he didn't seem to mind but I don't really know how to check the back. He seems slightly sad by it but still is very willing to run around if I were to let him.
    Priscilla

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast