Thread: Getting a white dog white again?

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Getting a white dog white again?

At the salon I work at people bring in their white bishons and white poodles with stains on their beards and eyes and noses how do I get them pure white again? I've used some whitening shampoos but they don't seem to work.

Crazy Like My Boxers Senior Dog Member+ BratBoxers's Avatar
    Try 1 part white vinegar,& water It got grass stains out on my boxers legs

Leave on 5 minutes then wash with shampoo.
    Bratcher's Kentucky Sunrise, CGC
    RagTyme Bratcher's Box office hit

Beauceron Bliss Senior Dog Member+ rottiegirl's Avatar
    You can try to get people to feed a better food, it can get rid of tear stains (those dyes in cheap food have to come out somewhere!) and it will often help with allergens which make dogs lick their feet (and of course stain)

Try mixing up your whitener shampoo, like human hair dog hair can "get used to" the same shampoos. Crystal White and White Lightening are my favorites. Also pop the whitener shampoo in the microwave for a few seconds and then rub into those area while still hot.

There are other products that are made to get tear stains out, I like eye envy, but it does have to be refridgerated!
    Nothing says "Oops!" like a wall of flame.

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    There are some tips in this thread

http://www.prodoggroomingsupplies.co...ead.php?t=5379

BoxerProtector Senior Dog Member+ Vintage Boxers's Avatar
    I have to say that food is KEY....but for dogs that are just plain slobs....(i have one of those) i use QuickSilver Horse shampoo....it it for white and gray horses...and it works wonders, or there are several other shampoos that i may or may not use!

Here is the name of the one that i just tried...Gold Nugget Super Whitening Shampoo...with wildberry scent.
    For the everyday bath, Vetrolin shine shampoo...for dogs and horses, i lather and let sit for five to ten minutes then rinse....for a conditioner if needed i know the borzoi did, i either give a hot oil (luke warm) VO5 treatment or a Cowboy Magic conditioner /detangler/ shine

Sarah

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I throw my hands in the air, try to stop Kirby from spilling his food all over himself when he eats tomatoes, shake my head, close my eyes, and pretend like it never happened.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

Pom Mom Senior Dog Member+ Deb's Tiny Dogs's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rottiegirl View Post
    You can try to get people to feed a better food, it can get rid of tear stains (those dyes in cheap food have to come out somewhere!) and it will often help with allergens which make dogs lick their feet (and of course stain)

Try mixing up your whitener shampoo, like human hair dog hair can "get used to" the same shampoos. Crystal White and White Lightening are my favorites. Also pop the whitener shampoo in the microwave for a few seconds and then rub into those area while still hot.

There are other products that are made to get tear stains out, I like eye envy, but it does have to be refridgerated!
    There is a new type of Eye Envy out now that doesn't have to be refrigerated. I called Eye Envy and bought some.

Also, here is some data I posted a while back on causes of red stains in dogs:

What are the hereditary factors that cause tear staining?
    A. A dog or cat could inherit very small tear ducts or overly watery eyes, particularly as a response to various products. Definitely inherited are large eyes and short muzzles, which tend to allow more eye irritation and less drainage. There can be inherited or developmental structural defects that result in eye stains. Small tear ducts overflow and then yeast develops in the wet fur causing the red stains. This is the most common.

Q. What are the hygiene factors that cause tear staining?
    A. Hygiene is an obvious factor in tear-staining. Matter in the eye tends to collect at the inner corner. If the pet’s eyes are exposed to dust, wind, grooming products, stray or ingrown hairs and other irritants, there will be more matter at the corners. This matter becomes an irritant and causes more tearing and therefore more staining (more yeast problems).

Q. What are the health factors that cause tear staining? A. Simple health concerns are often the major cause of excess tearing. Some of these are natural such as puppies or kittens cutting their first teeth, and again when they cut their permanent teeth. Dogs or cats of any age with teeth or gum problems are likely to have extra tear staining. Ear mites and ear infections, or any health problem - especially those in the head, neck, and chest areas - may also contribute to tear staining. Allergies to certain dyes or ingredients in food could cause excessive tearing. When the facial hair is wet from excess tearing it is the breeding ground for bacteria and yeast. One of the most common yeast infections is Ptyrosporin or Red Yeast which causes a deep reddish-brown stain. Low grade bacterial infections in the tear ducts are also common and may cause excess tearing and staining.
    Forever my boys, Bogey and Miko. All my love till we meet again.

RIP Julianna my Love Senior Dog Member+ FairyDogMother's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Oliver has tear stains. He doesn't have any health problems or gunk build up. He looks his best the first 1-2 weeks after his grooming appt which is every 4 weeks. I've tried a few different things and nothing has worked yet. I just make sure it's clean and don't worry about it any more. When I got him I caught all of the "that's why I never wanted a poodle or small light colored dog".. everybody loves him and no one makes reference to it anymore.
    If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.
    ~Collar of Hope~

Teresa - eye drops might help, they did with my dog. I just use human eye drops for refreshing the eye. I used them more for her start of dry eye but they cleared the stains up a treat - obviously the stains are to do with her eye trouble BUT it will help neutralise the tears so could be worth a go.

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member
    thank you all so much! i will take these tips to work with me and talk to my boss about them!!