Thread: Dog ate charcoal

Full Member Full Dog Member

My bulldog accidenatlly ate charcoal the other night and just vomited all his food right after. This morning, we thought he was doing ok, not having vomited again but when evening came, his stool was so watery like the consistency of chocolate milk. Would anyone know if i should just let this pass or should i take him to the vet for examining? Thanks!

Labified Senior Dog Member+ GretaJack's Avatar

Call the vet. Explain to them what has happened. I don't know how toxic charcoal is. Hope you pup feels better
    See Jacob grow http://katiejmcnamara.blogspot.com

Missed Greatly, Forever Remembered. In memory of my lost ones; Moby (9/13/03), Carbon (09/13/03), Tanner (10/16/05), Aries (07/31/07) and Millie (09/25/07).

most of the times dog will just let stuff pass, but i dont know about charcoal, i would call the vet and see what they say. most of the time if you have a vet that u go to all the time they will be willing to tell you over the phone instead of paying for an unnecessary office visit.

I would say to just give the vet a call also. I remember having a dog when I was younger who used to eat charcoal and nothing ever happened to her that I can remember.

It shouldn't harm your dog whatsoever, however that being if it was wood, if you do not know what it was, as many things can burn and look like charcoal, I would ring your vet immediately.

Thanks for all the replies guys! Malones ok, his stoll has gone to normal and the vet said charcoal is normally used to induce vomiting, thats the reason why he vomited. As for the diarhhea, his stomach just probably got irritated by it but now everythings well so thats good

Senior Dog Member

proper charcoal is actually good for dos in small amounts. Something thats just blackened and looks like charcoal however ould be bad for them. Usually they wont eat it if it isnt proper charcoal though. My lot love charcoal i just have to be careful they dont pick it off the bonfire in large amounts or they vomit afterwards. Small bits contains loads of good stuff though.
    Lou
    If you want something done ask a busy person to do it.

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Exclamation Quick Lighting Charcoal Is Toxic!

MATCH-LIGHT CHARCOAL IS TOXIC!!!

I know this post is late but when I found this thread I had to post a reply. NOT ALL CHARCOAL IS SAFE!!! Match-light or quick starting charcoal is saturated withy petroleum distillates and is most definitely TOXIC. Immediately induce vomitting by giving your dog 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide and call your vet!!!

For all of you people that posted that the pet owner should not worry because charcoal is safe, please refrain from posting this kind of advice unless you are qualified. I wonder how many dogs died as a result of following your advice. I'm sure that you meant well, but you are obviously NOT qualified. The fact is that much of the charcoal used these days is the quick starting kind like Kingford Match-Light and when a pet eats it the effect is very similar to drinking a petroleum distillate like kerosene or diesel.

Protector of Dobes Senior Dog Member+ Dobified's Avatar
    On the frozen Tundra in an igloo with a polar bear named whitey.
    OLD thread
    In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

old thread but good ending advice thanks jjardell!! pleased to meet you