Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Animal Testing by Pet Food Manufacturers

Worriaholic Senior Dog Member+ BabyElephant's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Animal Testing by Pet Food Manufacturers

OK, first of all this is to get your opinions on the subject, I don't want to start any slanging matches or anything so keep it civil and please don't personally attack members for their opinions.

I'm interested to find out what you guys feel about animal testing done in relation to animal feed? I'm not going to post any websites (unless specifically permitted to do so) but there is a huge wealth of information out there on this subject. I'm talking about the pet food manufacturers who carry out animal testing in order to produce their animal feed. We have a big "anti-animal testing following" (sorry, didn't know how else to phrase it) in the UK who are always campaigning against animal testing of any sort, whether it be for animal feed, medical research, cosmetics etc. I just wondered what your thoughts on the subject were and whether or not you are aware of the animal testing that your chosen pet food manufacturer does in order for you to feed the food that you give to your dogs.
    Quote Originally Posted by micki View Post
    Lipsticks are lost everyday but love is forever

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't know exactly how I feel The good of the many and all that.

I think that testing can be done humanely. Tissue samples can be done in small amounts, MRI's can be used to detect tumors, performance tests can measure muscle development.

Unfortunately, those are extremely expenses ways to test. Testing it on human companions wouldn't be scientific enough.

It is one of the reasons I am interested in alternative feeding methods.

Ive read many articles by Peta regarding IAMS. They had someone come in and video tape the sad truth of what really goes on behind IAMS. After reading the truth about that company and MANY other commercial companies like Science Diet, Purina, Kibble, Eukabuba(IAMS parents) and many more ive switched Oscar to an all natural diet. I recommend Natural Balance, Wellness or Nutro. They are all outstandind products. Heres the link and MAKE SURE YOU WATCH THE VIDEO!

http://www.iamscruelty.com/iams.asp

Heres the the link to video. Watch it. Then post. I can bet you will never use Iams again or start your dog on it after this.

http://www.iamscruelty.com/iams-video.asp
    I'm a superhero with no powers or motivation. - eXile

OMG BabyElephant your dog is adorable. I have a lab aswell. They look a bit alike

Quote Originally Posted by DaxAriel's Toy
    It is one of the reasons I am interested in alternative feeding methods.
    Dax if you are serious about that. Talk to a naturo-path. They are really unique people with so much information about food and staying healthy. With some breeds, some need more levels of things than others but im sure you know that. For eg, my dog needs higher levels of oil, thats why it would be best for him to be on Wellness with Duck. Theres most likely something that your dog needs more than other dogs considering hes a big boy for eg maybe more protein to help the muscle form properly etc... Give one a call, they usually are very happy to give free advice over the phone. What do you have Dax on now?

Full Member Full Dog Member doggone walkies's Avatar
    i know this is sort of off the subject but why test anything on ani,als, i firmly believe and i know many will hate me for this... but here goes why not test drugs etc on prisoners, i mean the murderers and sexoffenders at least then these monsters would be of some good to the world,like i say you all wont agree but over here in the UK just now you wouldnt believe what a pampered life prisoners have.. its almost like crime does pay let me know your feelings on this as im sure i have now caused a major debate

Protector of Dobes Senior Dog Member+ Dobified's Avatar
    On the frozen Tundra in an igloo with a polar bear named whitey.
    I am going to be frank here- I hate it !!! It is wrong and should be banned in North America. The testing that some companies do is horrendous. Hill's, Iams and Purina are some of the worst offenders. It is truely criminal.

The testing done on " stray " dogs is cruel to say the very least about. I don't understand how a company that claims to have your dog or cats best interests at heart can do some of the things they do to animals.
    I think if it becamie common knowledge and out in the public's view there would be a lot of screaming and the Government would have no choice but to act on it. Same goes for what they put into commercial dog foods.

It should be outlawed.
    In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

Asphalt Cowboy Senior Dog Member+ GSR Trucker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaxAriel's Toy
    I don't know exactly how I feel The good of the many and all that.
    The good of the many does not warrent the TORTURE of the few.

There are humane ways to do this which don't even involve keeping a dog in a cage environment, let alone inflicting physical distress on a regylar basis. In home tests with volounteer pet owners for instance. It's just easier for the rat bas*ards to do it the way they do.

And here's food for thought...

A lot of you folks are from Canada, and I'm not sure exactly how the laws are written up there, but I immagine they're probably very much the same as down here in the US.

Why is it that we have laws that protect pets from abuse or neglect by their owners or other people out on the street. Every day people are fined hundreds, sometimes thousands of dollars, and some even spend time in jail, as punishment for animal cruelty.

We even have laws that govern the manner in which cattle is slaughtered to prevent suffering by the animal.

Why then is it perfectly acceptable to torture animals in the name of science?? Am I the only one who sees a double standare here?
    Never mind the dog...
    Beware of owner!!

Quote Originally Posted by GSR Trucker
    The good of the many does not warrent the TORTURE of the few.

There are humane ways to do this which don't even involve keeping a dog in a cage environment, let alone inflicting physical distress on a regylar basis. In home tests with volounteer pet owners for instance. It's just easier for the rat bas*ards to do it the way they do.

And here's food for thought...

A lot of you folks are from Canada, and I'm not sure exactly how the laws are written up there, but I immagine they're probably very much the same as down here in the US.

Why is it that we have laws that protect pets from abuse or neglect by their owners or other people out on the street. Every day people are fined hundreds, sometimes thousands of dollars, and some even spend time in jail, as punishment for animal cruelty.

We even have laws that govern the manner in which cattle is slaughtered to prevent suffering by the animal.

Why then is it perfectly acceptable to torture animals in the name of science?? Am I the only one who sees a double standare here?

I don't believe animals should be used for any type of testing. It never occurred to me that what you say is right. As a pet owner there is legislation that says I can be punished for abusing my animals, but this does not apply to the medical, commercial food,comsmetic communities etc. In a lot of cases what they do to animals is more horendous than what most people who abuse their animal do. Knowing this, local and provincial/state authorities who are charged with the welfare of animals that are abused, surrondered or ceased sell them to these companies. Yea, there is a DOUBLE STANDARD here.

I love my dogs!<3 Senior Dog Member littleLABgirl's Avatar
    first i have one thing to say those PETA people i think exagerate and do and say dumb things they know have new billboards with a hook through a dog lip that says if you wouldnt do this to a dog dont do it to a fish so know they are against fishing no offense but that ridicoulus concerning the IAMS i think some of it or momst of it is sure but im sure a little is exagerated. But those are jsut my opions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast