Thread: My puppy chews on leash.

Full Member Full Dog Member

My puppy chews on leash.

I can't get my 3 month old puppy to stop chewing on the lease. He runs and then grabs the leash in his mouth and starts chewing it, then he gets tangled in it. When I approach him to untangle him he growls and trys biting my hand. I think he is playing, but this won't be funny when he is bigger! Is this why I see some dogs carrying their leash in their mouth? Is it too early to teach him to heal on lead?
    Thanks for all your ideas!

Agility Addict Senior Dog Member+ assortedagility's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Spray some Bitter Apple on the leash. It will taste unpleasant and discourage him from chewing.

Nope its never too early to teach leash manners. Though, don't expect such a young puppy to understand an exact heel position.

Bitter apple is an excellent idea. When walking, keep the leash very tight and don't let it dangle. While walking you may also want to walk with a empty coke can with a few coins in it. Everytime your pup jumps and or pulls on the leash give the can just one sharp sake and a very firm "NO!" from you......then keep right on walking. Do NOT stop.
    Love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.

Kabil Gibran

Pom Mom Senior Dog Member+ Deb's Tiny Dogs's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My dog that was a leash chewer liked Bitter Apple. So, I ran a bead of Tobasco Sauce down both sides of the leash and let it dry. We wound up having to put it on our phone cord, tv cord, and any electrical cord within his reach. He learned though!

I've even done this with a dog we had that was a poop eater. As soon as he'd poop we'd douse the poop with Tobasco or some other flaming hot sauce. That worked, too.
    Forever my boys, Bogey and Miko. All my love till we meet again.

Thanks for the advice. Where do I buy Bitter Apple? I will use the pop can idea too!
    This is a great forum!

Blog Entries
    You can pick up bitter apple at your local pet supplies store or purchase it online.

Crazy4Canines Senior Dog Member+ EmmaGirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fairlight View Post
    Bitter apple is an excellent idea. When walking, keep the leash very tight and don't let it dangle. While walking you may also want to walk with a empty coke can with a few coins in it. Everytime your pup jumps and or pulls on the leash give the can just one sharp sake and a very firm "NO!" from you......then keep right on walking. Do NOT stop.
    I've used this for excessive barking as well. I put a few coins in an empty coffee bottle and when they would start the yapping at the window I would give it a sharp shake. It startled them and the yapping stopped. They think that they're causing the unplseant noise and stop the behavior immediately.
    EG, Emma, Dak & Maddie
    We long for an affection altogether ignorant of our faults. Heaven has accorded this to us in the uncritical canine attachment. ~George Eliot

Bitter Apple didn't work!

Hi again,
    Okay I tried the bitter apple. It didn't bother him at all! I soaked the lead in it, but he is still biting. I will try the tobasco sauce on it even though it seems gooey!

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You don't need to soak it, just spray the end.

I treat the lead & comb like part of my body. It sounds weird, but if you handle nipping the leash like you would handle nipping your hands, the dog should respond.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪