Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can I be allergic to one dog and not the other?

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

can I be allergic to one dog and not the other?

I have two German Shepherds. It seems as I get hives if one licks me or if I pet her. My eyes get itchy and red. It doesn't happen with my other shepherd. They do have different coats. Any info. would be great. Thanks, Shirley

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Allergies are caused by dog gander (Dandruff). It is likely on has more than the other. I do believe your vet might have shampoos that can help. Even ProDog might have something. I think I even remember seeing some "sprays" at the dog store to help keep the dander from getting airborn.

Its possibly but i dont think its likely. What i was thinking before i read was the post you have a fur dog and a hair dog. Figuring the fur dog causing allergies.

Dax i guess i learned something. What does this shampoo do? Im aware of shampoos that kills dandruf but theres shampoos that can reduce allergies?
    I'm a superhero with no powers or motivation. - eXile

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The shampoo keeps the dander from being airborn so it isn't inhaled. My daughter has really bad allergies - only with the new dog Ariel. Her body has already adapted to Dax who is over 9 years old. Taking antihistimine is still the best way to her's (my daughter) under control.

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My entire family has always been allergic to all my pets, until we got dander-free, oil-free Kirby. Depends of course, are the eating, washing, playing with the same things?
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

Worriaholic Senior Dog Member+ BabyElephant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    In the UK we have something called Petal Cleanse, you wipe your dog with it once a week and it keeps the dander under control, it's actually "certified" by the British Allergy Foundation. As Dax suggested antihistimine is a good way to go as well.

It is possible that you can be allergic to one and not the other, I thought I was going to have to cancel getting Poppy because when I got back from visiting her on a couple of occasions my asthmas got bad, I got hives, swollen itchy eyes etc, turned out it was because there were so many of them together that I reacted so badly. I'm not allergic to my cat as I have built up resistance to her but if I go to my friends house who has a cat, I react so badly it is unbelieveable.
    Quote Originally Posted by micki View Post
    Lipsticks are lost everyday but love is forever

I've heard of nonallergenic dogs such as Yorkshire terriers who don't shed. Do they both shed?

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    German's shed heavily mostly. Yorkshire's don't shed, but they are not hypo-allergenic. They have greasy coats, and the oils are allergenic. Other than just no shedding, there's oils and dander to look at.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member
    Is it a constant problem, or is it possible the dog is carrying something from rubbing on something outside?

I would say absolutely you could be allergic to one and not the other.

My two BC's had completely different coat compostion, and you probably have the same kind of situation, but with their skin dander.
    A Lab and two Border Collies - can it get any better than this......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast