Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! my dog ate chocolate brownies :(

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Help! my dog ate chocolate brownies :(

I baked some brownies today for the kids as a treat after thier first day of school anyway they each had a piece of it and the rest was put in the fridge.
    Maybe one of the kids left the door a bit opened and somehow Raven opened the fridge and ate the entire pan of brownies.My daughter walked into the kitchen and caught her licking off the last of it
    I know chocolate is toxic to dogs and I immediately gave her some peroxide to induce vomiting.About 5 min later she vomited some of the chocolate and what she had eaten earlier.Now I gave her more peroxide but she hasent vomited again.Do I give her another dose or what? Should I wait and see if she vomits again? I dont know if she vomited all the chocolate she ate but only afew min had passed before I induced vomiting so I know it didnt have a chance to digest yet.If anyone can offer any advice that would be great and before you say rush her to a vet I cant do that now because our car is at the shop and I have no way of getting there till the morning .Is there anything I shoul watch out for? Right now she is laying under me and she seems to be acting normal

Give it some time to work. I won't say if it's okay to give another dose, but I have done that with nothing bad happening. Good luck, keep us posted.

Got Sheltie? Senior Dog Member+ weezyNollie's Avatar
    You can do the hydrogen peroxide up to three times, with 15 minute intervals. If the dog seems to be okay, no vomiting/diarrhea, lethargy, etc. You might have snuck under the chocolate radar.

If the dog persists with vomiting/diarrhea, or lethargy. Bring her to the vet.
    The Herding Herd.
    Brooke, Weezy, Ollie, and Ralphie

www.coloradoanimalrescue.org

Banned (temp) Senior Dog Member+
    Blog Entries
    Hydrogen peroxide and call the vet NOW!

Ok I just got off the phone with the vet they reccomended that I bring her in but I explained my situation that I have no transportation to take her there.
    They werent much help with that So I really have no choice but to wait till tomorrow and watch her tonight and pray that she vomited up all the chocolate before .Oh yea the vet said not to give her any more peroxide.I will keep you guys updated please pray that she will be ok thank you

Blog Entries
    GOOD.. If the stomach is empty the peroxide will hurt her throat. I would get a neighbor to transport you to the vet..

Pom Mom Senior Dog Member+ Deb's Tiny Dogs's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom View Post
    GOOD.. If the stomach is empty the peroxide will hurt her throat. I would get a neighbor to transport you to the vet..
    Or, borrow some money from a neighbor and call a cab.

BTW Weezy, how much HP do you administer and how do you get them to take it?
    Forever my boys, Bogey and Miko. All my love till we meet again.

Blog Entries
    How is your dog today?

meany patrol deputy Senior Dog Member+
    how large is your dog? you might be ok since she vomited be prepared for the chocolate poops. My 8 lb pom ate about a lb of chocolate chips. She vomited chocolate, pooped chocolate and she was fine. The vet said as long as she threw it up several times ( that was all they would make her do )to watch her. and bring her in if she got worse.
    Life is short. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that makes you smile."

Raven is a lab/chow mix about 50 lbs and she is 10 months old.
    Well I watched her last night and after that last dose of peroxide she didnt vomit anymore but I believe that is because there was nothing left in her belly to vomit up anymore.The time factor after she ate the brownies and I gave her the peroxide to induce vomiting was less than 5 min .
    I monitered her last night and she acted normal
    This morning I took her for her walk and she acted fine she pooped and her stool was normal too it wasnt loose .She seems normal in every way so I think that the chocolate didnt have time to do any damage to her since the time factor was less than 5 min and apparantly she vomited it all last night after the first dose of peroxide. I will continue to watch her but I think she will be fine if she were to have any effects of the chocolate it would have happened between 2 to 12 hrs after eating it and that is mainly for dogs that werent induced to vomit .Thank you to all that posted for your help .Ill update everyone again tomorrow on how she is doing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast