Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I need to increase the number of feedings?

Do I need to increase the number of feedings?

Chloe is now 6 and a half months old. She is full grown by beagle standards . The vet transferred her to adult food because beagles are prone to put on weight very fast and she didn't need puppy food since her growth was done. All went well for the first week but for the past 2 days, she's started demanding an extra feeding. (We taught her to scratch her bowl when she wanted food and that's how she shows us). She is fed twice a day - once at 8:30 am and once at 7:30 pm and she always leaves 2-3 bits of food behind so I'm sure she's not underfed during mealtimes. But for the past 2 days - even though she leaves behind those 2-3 bits, she demands more food at around 10:30. We fed her very little at 10:30 since it was so late but we didn't want her to sleep hungry.
    So- is she lacking in nutrition or is this just an adjustment period? We are still mixing her puppy food with the adult food - its now 80% adult and 20% puppy. Her food is Chicken soup (both puppy and adult)
    My goal in life is to be the person my dog thinks I am.
    Beagles rule!

Just an adjustment period. Maddy was horrible for a few days when I eliminated her midday meal.Just a question - why would you teach her to scratch at her bowl to demand food - wouldn't this just be setting yourself up for an ear bashing? Many dogs will eat and eat.......
    A Lab and two Border Collies - can it get any better than this......

Haha - the alternative was to hear her sit in front of the food container and bark (and she has a biiig bark in a small package). I didn't want her to not be able to tell me when she's hungry - so in the interest of peace in the house ...we taught her to scratch the bowl.
    She is more interested in treats than dog food - if she had the choice she would interchange the two. She doesn't overeat dog food, and I doubt she ever will - but treats ...ummm that's a different story.
    Beagles rule!

Senior Dog Member weimlover0816's Avatar
    Try feeding her something filling, yet not fattening at 10:30... like carrots or a bit of cooked rice. Both are good for dogs, but shouldn't cause Chloe to turn into a little fatty . You could also start mixing in a little rice with her evening (7:30) meal to fill her up a bit more.

ps: the pics of her in the other thread are adorable!! She's grown up sooo fast!!
    got weimaraner?

Bubby Central Senior Dog Member+ AussiesCollies's Avatar

Cool

I like the idea of you teaching your dog to scratch her bowl. We didn't teach our dogs that, but they'll knock they're bowl around a lot until we notice that there is no food left. When they do that, I just give them like half a scoop of food cuz usually it's late when they start knocking it around. I have 2 dogs and a lot of times I think my German Shepherd mix eats more of the food than my Border Collie does, so I give my Border Collie a bit extra if she's the one messing with the bowl. Mine aren't underfed though, that's for sure.
    Crazy for Chi's! RIP Pebbles & Oreo

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well first, I'm going to say that I'm surprised that you're already feeding mostly adult food... Was that on advice of your vet? Strange to me.

I like Weims idea, or you can moisten her food again before she eats it, which should make her feel more full.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

Moo, we just started the adult food 2 weeks ago...on the advice of the vet. I was also surprised that he recommended this - but his reasoning was that we should keep an eye on her weight. Beagles can put on weight pretty fast and he saw no reason to keep her on rich puppy food if she's finished growing. Weim...I liked that idea a lot - will do that.
    Beagles rule!

Senior Dog Member
    It is probable she is demanding more food because the protein content is slightly lower. Protein is the slowest digested material and therefore "sits" in the stomach longer. She will adjust - be firm.
    I like Weims idea - but stick to vegetables, rice has a lot more calories than you would think.
    Another alternative would simply be to divide her ration into three portions instead of two.
    If you want something done ask a busy person to do it.

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member
    I am coming in waaaaaay after the fact (new to forum; reading old posts), however my vet also recommends getting off puppy diet as soon as 6 months. He claims veterinarian stats have shown this to be a longevity issue with dogs (live longer if weaned off puppy diet sooner, rather than later). When would anyone out there recommend changing the three times a day to two times a day for feeding times? BTW, we're talking about Beardies.

Quote Originally Posted by fauxpa
    I am coming in waaaaaay after the fact (new to forum; reading old posts), however my vet also recommends getting off puppy diet as soon as 6 months. He claims veterinarian stats have shown this to be a longevity issue with dogs (live longer if weaned off puppy diet sooner, rather than later). When would anyone out there recommend changing the three times a day to two times a day for feeding times? BTW, we're talking about Beardies.

My vet recomended staying on puppy food for a year - but that it should be the large breed variety - she is a lab.

It totally depends on the breed.
    A Lab and two Border Collies - can it get any better than this......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast