Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dogs resembling owners

Dogs resembling owners

A news article regarding a study on how dogs resemble owners:

SAN DIEGO, CALIF. - Some dog owners seem to choose a canine companion that resembles them, according to psychologists who tested the assumption.

When people pick a dog, "they seek one that, at some level, resembles them, and, when they get a purebred, they get what they want," the researchers said in the May issue of the journal Psychological Science.

Judges didn't match dogs to owners using one simple trait like size or ear style.

To explore the resemblance, social psychologist Nicholas Christenfeld of the University of California, San Diego, separately photographed 45 dogs and their owners, who were approached randomly at dog parks.

Dogs and owners were photographed in different backgrounds. Owners were photographed from the waist up, facing forward, wearing their dog-walking clothes and whatever facial expression they chose.

"Dogs were photographed facing forward, with the whole dog visible," the researchers wrote. "They made whatever facial expression they chose, exhibiting rather more lolling tongues than the owners."

The 28 judges examined three photographs of a dog owner, its dog and another dog. If the majority of judges matched the dog and owner, it was considered a resemblance.

The undergraduate student judges matched the purebred dogs to their owners 16 times out of 25, compared to seven matches out of 20 for mixed breed dogs.

Owners can predict the appearance of purebred puppies but not mixed mutts, which may explain the results.

The researchers ruled out the convergence explanation that similarity increases with length of ownership, since they found no link between how long a dog and owner had been together and how closely they resembled each other.

The judges did not seem to make correct matches simply by connecting obvious characteristics, such as hairy people with hairy dogs or big people with big dogs. Rather, they may have based the matches on a more subtle trait or by sizing up the animals as a whole, the researchers said.

"It does appear that people want a creature like themselves," the study concluded
    My goal in life is to be the person my dog thinks I am.
    Beagles rule!

Ummmmmmmmmmmm, I think that may be true....to some extent anyway. Sidney has a long blonde coat (I'm blonde and I picked her out as a pup). Gretta is GS. so she's black and tan (I picked her as a pup too..my hubby is dark haired and tan skinned). They are both my dogs so I guess I picked out a pair that looks like us! Too funny. I never reallly thought about it that way before.
    There is nothing more pure and uncomplicated as the love and devotion of our canine kids!

Interesting, all mine are mutts though.

Quote Originally Posted by smehta1
    "Dogs were photographed facing forward, with the whole dog visible," the researchers wrote. "They made whatever facial expression they chose, exhibiting rather more lolling tongues than the owners."
    Hehe, I like this part.

I don't think i have ever looked like any of my dogs. I had a Dobie for 19 years, and he may have been the colsest, but still, NO.

Back for a minute.. Senior Dog Member ChandraRae's Avatar
    Both of mine have very expressive faces.. in that sense, we're alike. And big eyes.
    "I thought it was completely obvious by now that I have no idea what I'm doing."

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think Kirby and I are alike. Short and stubby, but quick, not so tidy hair, round faces, our eyes are almost the same colour...
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries

(had these hanging around still)

I don't look like either Dax or Ariel (unless you compare the hair on our legs lol) but I have dogs that I hope to be like. They are all heart, strong and true. They show great strength of character even temperment and a sense of fun.

Dax, Those pics are hysterical! And I have no doubt that you are a lot like your dogs....all heart, strong and true. Your strength of character shows in your postings and your caring way. There's no doubt you like a bit of fun! We all do, or we wouldn't be here!
    There is nothing more pure and uncomplicated as the love and devotion of our canine kids!

Full Member Full Dog Member Senecio's Avatar
    All four of my dogs are different in almost every way, which one do I take after then? lol
    If you would like to find unconditional love...buy a dog, they are always there when you need them.

mmmm do i look like my rotts or sibes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast