Thread: Chihuahua Pregnancy

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Question Chihuahua Pregnancy

I have a one y/o female Chihuahua (Cocoa) and a 4 y/o Male chihuahua (Pedro). My family & I have been planning to breed the two of them in another year or so. Here's my problem: Cocoa went into heat the beginning of December, she finished the beginning of January. Pedro was always crated when we left the house ( I always made sure of it), they were constantlly watched; never alone for more than a few seconds. On 12/23/04, by brother didn't have school and said he would watch the two of them, however when my dad got home for lunch, my brother was asleep. We don't know if anything happend. Cocoa has only gained 5oz, her appatite has not increased, she isn't acting differently, but she looks like she'll start producing milk any time now. My vet said they could preform a pregnancy test in about a month and a half. Until then I am supposed to weigh her once a week. So far (2weeks) she hasn't gained anything.

QUESTION: how can I tell if she is pregnant or just going through a false prenancy?

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What signs are there that she is pregnant? So far you decribe a normal female dog with no characteristics of false pregnancy or a real one for that matter.

I'm not sure how you could tell if it's pregnancy vs. a false pregnancy.. Your veterinarian would probably be your best bet..

I know this might not be the best time to say this, but why did you want to breed them in the first place? What do your dogs have to contribute positively to the breed? Surely, they have passed all the basic health tests and are clear of patellar luxation, PRA and heart problems. Surely they have proven themselves worthy of being bred, by achieving titles in the show ring, or have achieved titles in obedience or agility. Are they therapy dogs? WHAT makes them worthy of being bred? You do realize that Chihuahuas are a very common breed, meaning that many wind up in shelters.. How would you make sure that your pups didn't?

It's not my intent to be mean. What has happened, happened, yelling at you would do no good.. I'd just like to know why you feel your dogs should be bred.

Phantom or real pregnancies can be hard to diagnose at such an early stage unfortunately.
    One thing you can check is her vulva, is it reducing in size since the heat cycle or has is stayed swollen.
    Can you post a pic of her teats, need to see her standing taking the pic from a side view, so I can see how far they have dropped.
    They don't tend to show their size (pregnant belly) till about the last 2-3 weeks, but then that will all depend on how many pups.
    I have posted a thread with my dog in heat, I will come back with the link for you, so you can see what I mean about the vulva.

http://www.prodoggroomingsupplies.co...ead.php?t=3939

The vulva should stay swollen like in the pics. If it is reducing she is going through neither.

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I found this great website that might help you.
    Canine Pregnancy Calendar

You enter in the date of mating and it will provide you with a detailed calendar of expected events. This will let you see if your dog is undergoing the changes.

The only sign you mention in your first post is enlarged nipples - are you sure that is not just normal enlargement after a first heat?

TG I'm a country girl Senior Dog Member+ doglovin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ellierat
    Phantom or real pregnancies can be hard to diagnose at such an early stage unfortunately.
    One thing you can check is her vulva, is it reducing in size since the heat cycle or has is stayed swollen.
    Can you post a pic of her teats, need to see her standing taking the pic from a side view, so I can see how far they have dropped.
    They don't tend to show their size (pregnant belly) till about the last 2-3 weeks, but then that will all depend on how many pups.
    I have posted a thread with my dog in heat, I will come back with the link for you, so you can see what I mean about the vulva.

http://www.prodoggroomingsupplies.co...ead.php?t=3939

The vulva should stay swollen like in the pics. If it is reducing she is going through neither.

Would just like to confirm everything that ellie said!We have bred our chihuahua and this is how to know,however it is litterally impossible to tell if a dog is pregnant this early,unless u get a test from the vet.Is your chi healthy?Has she had breeding testing done in the past?I would take her to the vet for a once over to make sure she is in good health,and u know what prob's she might have!
    My Rotti's: Chanae&Dunamis
    "My black and Tan Heartthrobs"
    R.I.P. King&Annie

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Cool Breeding Chihuahua

I am feeling a need to respond to this because the idea that you can go to a shelter and get a healthy young chihuahua is a crock! you can get older very special ones at rescues or sick ones lost and abandoned which can be wonderful as well but the only way to get these wonderful, smart, amazingly, special animals, that have been around for centuries by the way for obvious reasons, is to buy one. This does not mean that I think everyone is capable of breeding these animals. In my opinion at least 90% of all breeders of any animals are not healthy enough, mentally or capable of making the best decisions for the well being of any animals. I do not support majority of breeders and wish we would arrest and shut down the lot of them. People have to really care about animals. I am not a breeder, I just love Chihuahua's so much, there are not enough words to describe what they add to ones life. I have rescued many animals. I have three legged mutt from PR, one mutt with a horrible auto immune disease to the skin, many cats over the years and dogs that were older or sick that I saved but I wanted a Chihuahua so badly and when I got one, I wanted another one and I had to pay way too much for them. I am an serious advocate for spay and neuter. They put 50,000 healthy beautiful innocent animals to sleep a month in my State NC, so the guilt of buying dog really eats at me. I am taking the brunt of irresponsible losers that do not spay and neuter. Its not fair for people to criticize without knowing who they are dealing with. The family who wants to breed should do it responsibly after the one litter spay the mom and neuter the dad don't be greedy and try to sell them just enjoy the babies if that was what you wanted. When I was a child experiencing a dog having a litter is magic but it should not be continuous. Every baby has the ability to produce thousands of dogs. It is my responsibility to fix all the babies and mom and dad once I had my experience and give the babies to very safe and long term(15) years homes, where they will get vet care throughout their lives. Small children can kill a Chihuahua by accident as well as many other things that can happen. The deal is everyone has to be RESPONSIBLE! stop doing it for the wrong reasons. If you love a critter so much, you want them to have babies, then show the true love you have by dealing with it accordingly.Do not try to make a ton of money on these babies, so they can go on to have scary lives with god knows who! Do not force a small mother into numerous pregnancies, imagine if it were you, how many would you have in your lifetime? Finally it is very expensive to care for them when pregnant if something goes wrong she could die and her babies, they are small and cesarean is very expensive. treat the animal as if it were your child, make sure you do no have any blood on your hands as far as them going to a home to be bred and multiplied. Every baby they have will be on your head.

Senior Dog Member+ FairyDogMother's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This thread is from 2005!!!!! This poster is long gone.
    Might want to start your own thread regarding your views on this.

ps... Chihuahua's are the #3 euthanized dog out there now from over breeding.
    I suggest everyone quits breeding them for a while and not all the rescue/shelter ones (with that many out there) are a medical or behavior nightmare either!!!!
    If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.
    ~Collar of Hope~