Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Raising a Large breed vs a Small breed

Raising a Large breed vs a Small breed

I have only had small dogs in my life (I am only 20), the biggest dog being my dog Bear, who is a little bit overweight (working on it) at like 23 pounds or something. My mini poodle is 10 pounds.
    I am getting my Standard Poodle in July (hopefully) and want to know everyones experiences in raising a small breed versus a big breed. Differences in training, feeding, socialization and such like that.

Also, male versus female. My poodle is hopefully gonna be a female but I have only had males. She also probably won't be spayed right away cause I am planning on showing conformation with her. So again same thing, differences in training, feeding, socialization
    Priscilla
    Proud owner of Bear (Pomeranian/Shih Tzu/Terrier) and Mystic Realm aka. Markie (Thoroughbred) And my Miniature Poodle, Stryder.

Couch Potato City
    Blog Entries
    Well I guess it depends on the breed. I know when I went from shepherds to borzois, it was actually easier to raise a puppy. The only negative was being taller I had to think more " counter size" but that was it. Borzois have been easier to say the least.
    A standard poodles is highly intellegent, and also active. All large breeds need early training and socialization, but with a poodles intellegence games would really come into play. Not just to " tire out" but also to stimulate the mind. Remember poodles- all 3 sizes are riddled with genetic disorders so choose your breeder carefully..

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom View Post
    All large breeds need early training and socialization, but with a poodles intellegence games would really come into play.
    All breeds need early training and socialization. Some small breeds maybe even moreso.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The adult standard poodles I have met are a bouncy happy breed. Not usually dog aggressive but can be overtly friendly.

They are intelligent but need motivation to be good listeners. Some of Ariel's favorite playmates were standard poodles.

Because of thier intelligence and drive, exercise and variety should be on top of the list for training tools.

Thanks guys. Just so you know I have done a ton of research on standard poodles and know many and know their personalities on general but I like to hear everyone elses opinions for raising st. poos, and large dogs in general
    Priscilla
    Proud owner of Bear (Pomeranian/Shih Tzu/Terrier) and Mystic Realm aka. Markie (Thoroughbred) And my Miniature Poodle, Stryder.

water dogs rock!! Senior Dog Member+ HovawartMom's Avatar
    A large dog is the same work as a small dog!.No more,no less!.The biggest difference is how fast, they grow so you have to be careful not to over or underexercise the dog!.They stay puppyish longer and mature,slower.Some can take up to 3yrs.They need a lot of socialization but that's good for any dogs!.
    The poodles,i've met,were fun and sporty!.
    My Golden's slideshow:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3cQhJc2LDM
    My Hovawart's slideshow:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh_1toD6xtc
    If you don't like a wet,shedding dog,don't get a Golden or an Hovawart!.

Couch Potato City
    Blog Entries
    Yea I really think it depends on the breed. My affinpincher could think circles around the shepherds and uh well uh would leave a young borzoi in the dust.. lol.. But that intellegence however you call it comes with a price in mischeif...

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticRealm View Post
    Thanks guys. Just so you know I have done a ton of research on standard poodles and know many and know their personalities on general but I like to hear everyone elses opinions for raising st. poos, and large dogs in general
    I think the #1 big dog vs little dog training difference is big dogs need to be taught basic obedience starting at about 8-10 weeks while they are still at sizes where a command can be enforced.

If you have ever seen anyone trying to leash train for the first time a 150lb dog, you'll understand. Early training is more important (sorry little dogs no offense) than with a 25 lb dog.

Couch Potato City
    Blog Entries
    ( 47 pound borzoi pup at 15 weeks old..- zoom- with mom on wet grass... down the hill, bam- leg hits a rock- ankel keeps going- broken leg.. ) LOL- true story!

Big dogs eat more and make bigger poo.
    Kool-aid is airplane. *whirly noises*

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast