Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My puppy eats worms?

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Question

We got her from a farmhouse. The guy who owns the house didn't know where she came from and said he wished she would go away. Well after playing with her for a little bit me and my girlfriend decided to give her a home. While potty training her and taking her for walk we noticed she likes to dig when it rains. Ok, dogs dig. Not a good thing but they want to. So we started trying to break her from it. It took about 2 weeks to get her to "mostly" stop but we also noticed it seemed like she was digging for worms. Being the intelligent beings we humans are, we guessed, it rained so the ground was soft, the worms were coming up, she was finding them and eating them. If she sees a worm on the sidewalk she eats it. We figure she was living off anything she could find and worms were something she could get.
    Are we wrong about this and is it bad for her to eat worms???

I forgot. The vet guessed she was 9 weeks old. Now she is 15.

[ July 01, 2004, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: cruizer13 ]

A dogs diet doesn't depend on just what we give them, the worms are fine, mine will dig for wichitie grubs in Oz. mine will also eat grass, berries, apples, mandarins, (yes that's right, and she peels it herself!!!) banana, a whole range of things. Your puppy will be fine, just watch she doesn't get hold of anything poisonous or she may ingest that as well.

Whew. Thanks for the quick reply. Although the idea of eating worms is, well, not my idea of a steak dinner. If it's ok then great. She does like grass too. My girlfriend also, sometimes, mixes an egg with her food. She says it's good for her coat. I guess eggs are good too. And I do keep a close eye on her. Is there any place on the web that actually tells you what's bad? I know if it is bad for us it's bad for them but stuff like milk (lactose) is bad. How does someone find out about those?

[ July 01, 2004, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: cruizer13 ]

Mine get eggs once a week, some say you should cook them, but I have always given mine raw with no ill effects. They also love cheese, you should try out the fruit, mine will wait till it drops off the trees.

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There are lots of things bad for dogs....and in my experience they don't seem to like that stuff anyway. Onions, mushrooms,etc.

I found several sites on the internet by doing an internet search on dog poisions.

Ask away your questions here, most of us know pretty much what is good or bad!!

Yea she loves cheese (cheese burgers to say the least) too. I made the mistake of driving back to St Louis. A major traffic jam in Chicago made me get a hotel room. I didn't bring any food becausr I expected to be there ni 6 or 7 hours. So we stopped at McDonalds. I figured she would be hungry and got her a plain cheeseburger. Now whe goes nuts when we go to a drive thru. It amazes me how they remember everything that relates to food and you have to work so hard at the rest.

My parents looked after the farm a while back when we went on holiday. Ellie my lab got quite attached to him in our absense, he would always sit for morning tea with biscuits, some for Ellie too.
    They are back again now, guess who is over in their caravan at the moment, waiting for morning tea. She never forgot!!!

Are bannanas ok? She found a bannana peel and went nuts over it. I'd like to give her the whole thing if it's ok.

Yep, bananas are fine, Sophie my lab will actually peel it, she will also peel a mandarine for herself. lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast