Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bc/acd???

Senior Dog Member

Question Bc/acd???

Everyone who does Agility,do you think this would make a good cross for Agility? I was thinking Border Collie/Australian Cattle Dog cross would be good,or a 60# or less Pittie would be good....

BC does exceedingly well in agility. Probably the best ive seen. Pittie...im not sure about that...
    I'm a superhero with no powers or motivation. - eXile

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't know about the temprament of a Heeler and a Border Collie.

Heelers have alot of strength in their bodies considering their size, and a huge prey drive. Borders and quick, and determined. I can't say that I'm all for that in a enviroment full of people and dogs.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

Focus is the key here Pittie. I could never ever take Oscar to an agility or flyball competition. As soon as i let him go he will go socialize with the other dogs and people. You need a focused dog. And btw, i think your Pit Bull would do pretty well actually. They just tend to be a very focused breed and thats what you really need. If a dog has speed but no focus, he will definitly make mistakes causing him time.

Senior Dog Member
    X- which Pit?

Blog Entries
    Exile is right. Focus is very important. Basically the only big roadblock left on mine and Kirby's plate. The first to emerge, the last standing. Obviously, it can be worked in, but it would be so much more enjoyable if he had more interest on me than the distractions... and there are alot of distractions.

I say go with Osha. She's done obedience, so she knows how to please, and knows how to focus.

Senior Dog Member
    Moo-Agility wears down the joints to quickly...Osha weighs almost 90 pounds...She'd have to quit her Agility "career" long before she even began it,if you know what I mean....I'm going to get a puppy this summer to do Agility w/.Either a BC/ACD cross or Pit....

Blog Entries
    The most important part is listening, Pittie. Nobody says she has to be fast, she doesn't even have to jump her height. Heavy dogs can run specials. But a Pit build is great for jumping. A clean course is bigger than a fast run with dropped bars.

Pittie, I've seen Rottweilers, Danes, Pits in agility. How old is Osha now?

And if you got a puppy, you would have to wait another year, what fun is that? LOL

Senior Dog Member
    Osha is 2 1/2 years old...Moo I'm also working w/ a private trainer...You have different views on Agility than she does...

I really dont think you should get a dog just to do agility with. See how the dogs you have now can do in agility. You never know, you just may dig up a champion!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast