Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why to not shave your dog!

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Why to not shave your dog!

I wish I had my camera with me at the time.

I was at work on Saturday, and got a call from a guy who wanted to bring his two pomeranians in. No problem, we had space. He had a puppy who wanted a bath, and an adult dog who needed some sort of full groom.

The guy comes in, and the black pup is cute as can be, and his adult Pom was naked. I mean peach fuzz. He says that for years, he had the dog put into a "summer cut" seasonally (like 1.5 inch comb), for maintenance reasons. But one day when he moved, he went to a different groomer, and their idea of a summer cut was the shave it all around with the shortest blade that they had. It shaved the undercoat- and it never grew back. This happened a year and a half ago he said, and the dog was all peach fuzz now. You could see the skin, there was only hair growing on it's feet and neck up to it's head. The poor dog, and the poor guy!

We've had people come in with sob stories who I thought were full of it, but I definitely believed this guy. I've always told people that the coat insulates from the hot and keeps the dog cool, and I had heard of coats not growing back the same. But his poor pom's coat had not grown back... at all! And it wasn't even his decision to shave it!

Don't shave your double coated dogs, folks!!!
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

Couch Potato City
    Blog Entries
    In Collies shaving them makes them hottier. It double insulates the coat as the top hair is the same as the under coat and dense as heck.. People think shaving a collie or husky or pom makes them cooler- but it doesn't. It makes a insulated blanket.. Without that top coat to keep the heat out, they are a sitting duck for heat.

Miss my son! Senior Dog Member+ Camberaoh's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Try explaining that to them Borzoi.. i told a pom guy that once who had never shaved his down and he got mad at me lol!! I told him i would shave it.. no problem more money for me but i wanted to tell him it may not grow back properly and it wont keep the dog any cooler.. He got upset for whatever reason and stormed off. I guess cus he couldnt comprehend how less hair wouldnt keep the dog cooler lol. Said it didnt make sense and i was lying. So i told him to go home and google it. I wonder if he did or not
    Theres truth behind every 'just kidding', curiosity behind every 'just wondering', knowledge behind every 'i dont know' and emotion behind every ' i dont care'.

Bee-See-Luv-R Senior Dog Member+ Bclover92's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That poor guy...

this is why i will only ever use a groomer i know or do it my self.

I heard of a newfie who they shaved in the summer and it acctually died cause it didnt have its fur.
    Abby and the Defying Gravity Dogs
    Ammardans Skyes the Limit CGC AX OAJ XF 0/3 AXJ 1/10 MXF 4/10 MX <3 Heart Dog
    DarnFars Footprints on the Moon CGC NA OAJ NF 2/3 OA 1/3 AXJ 1/3 OF *My Reason to Smile*
    Heaven's Gift Levi Gabriel *Family Friend*

Member OTHG Senior Dog Member+ Dauxside's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Some people don't want to learn...they want to be *right.*
    CJ ~ and the Dauxside of the Moon Gang
    I believe in dragons, fairies, good men and other mythical beasties

Couch Potato City
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sararee View Post
    Try explaining that to them Borzoi.. i told a pom guy that once who had never shaved his down and he got mad at me lol!! I told him i would shave it.. no problem more money for me but i wanted to tell him it may not grow back properly and it wont keep the dog any cooler.. He got upset for whatever reason and stormed off. I guess cus he couldnt comprehend how less hair wouldnt keep the dog cooler lol. Said it didnt make sense and i was lying. So i told him to go home and google it. I wonder if he did or not
    Not everyone is receptive to advice.. Shaving a long haired dog is soemone doubling a wool blanket and wear it..

I miss you Denali Senior Dog Member+ Dignity's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not only what has been mentioned before - but dogs without fur can get sun burnt if you're not careful! Plus cool in the summer/warm in the winter and everything else that has been mentioned.
    Beauty without Vanity; Strength without Insolence; Courage without Ferocity; and all the virtues of Man without his Vices. -- Lord Byron "Epitaph to a Dog"
    ♥ Bone Cancer Awareness ♥ RIP Denali ♥

Senior Dog Member rbag2blacklabs's Avatar
    I have heard of people shaving there labs. Makes no sense to me at all
    Beth, Jewel and Sadie

Miss my son! Senior Dog Member+ Camberaoh's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rbag2blacklabs View Post
    I have heard of people shaving there labs. Makes no sense to me at all
    I have had to shave labs before.. Owners request.. have to do it or someone else will. Even shaved a short haired Chi before too.. crazy crazy owners.
    Theres truth behind every 'just kidding', curiosity behind every 'just wondering', knowledge behind every 'i dont know' and emotion behind every ' i dont care'.

Blog Entries
    That poor little dog. He is the one that has to suffer the rest of this life.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast