Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dry skin

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Question

my doberman puppy has very dry skin, it looks like she has dandruff, what do you suggest?

Unhappy

I have many dogs and there are is a product that Rio Vista Products make, and it is sold on this site that works great. It is called Oatmeal Shampoo. It seems to work great, and my dog doesnt itch any more. You should try it.

Unhappy

I have many dogs and there are is a product that Rio Vista Products make, and it is sold on this site that works great. It is called Oatmeal Shampoo. It seems to work great, and my dog doesnt itch any more. You should try it.

Smile

The oatmeal shampoo and such is good, but you might also add a little flaxseed oil (which is very rich in the "good" fats, like the Omega fats) to her food. I buy whole flaxseed at a co-op near me, and throw a tablespoon of the seed in my little electric coffee grinder (the seeds are so small that they need to be ground up - otherwise, they just pass through the dog's system, undigested) and mix in their food. They love it, and it makes the hair nice and shiny and lubricates both joints and skin! (my horses like it too!)
    Pat

What kind of food are you feeding your pup. You need to feed a good quality puppy food. Only buy the quantity that your pup will eat up in a month. If food sits open longer than that, the nutrients start to break down. If you have ever noticed your dogs coat will get dull etc. it is a lot of times at the end of your bag of dog food. Then when you buy fresh, they perk back up. I feed Science Diet, I know it is expensive, but it is worth it. There are other foods out there that are also very good, you just need to check the lables.

Skin issues are usually diet related. Almost all commercial dog foods are grain based. Dogs are meat eaters, altho they are more omnivorous than many carnivores.

For a different approach to feeding your dog, see my natural diet website. I've been a raw feeder for almost 10 years, and I would NEVER feed my dogs commercial foods again.

There are also links there so that you can do your own research and see what horrifyingly terrible things go into many brands of commercial dog food.

There are a FEW commercial brands out there that are very good that I might recommend to someone who is totally against feeding fresh food.

They include:
    Innova
    California Natural
    Sojourner Farms Add Meat Mix
    Wysong
    Flint River Ranch

Personally, I would not feed Science Diet to a dog I did not like. I class it with all the other grocery store brands.
    Clearview Rottweilers<br />NC, USA <a href="http://n2rotts.com" target="_blank">http://n2rotts.com</a><br />Raw fed for a naturally healthy life

Full Member Full Dog Member

How often do you bathe him/her?Too much bathing is often cause for dry skin.Flaxseed oil is not necessary a I use regular cooking oil and it works wonders.Just as good as flaxseed oil.

Dobes are notorious for dry skin. Heck, I battled it with both of my dobes! If you use ANY shampoo on the pup, use Tomlyn's Nova Pearls, and dilute it down a lot - so it's like water. You don't want to slop the shampoo on full strength. Second, make sure you're using a conditioner or finishing spray. I suggest spraying THE S*T*U*F*F (available at petedge.com) on the pup when still slightly damp from the bath. It also depends if it's a show puppy. If not, feel free to use Silk Spirits (available as chrissystems.com). I rub a SMALL amount into my obedience girl's coat when she's still damp from her bath. It makes her smell wonderful, and eliminates dandruff.

Also, try giving her Brewer's Yeast. I use the tablets made for humans, abd adjust the dosage based on weight. Not only will this inprove her coat, but it will strenthen her immune and digestive system, and will naturally repel fleas.

Food? Dobes rarely do well on Iams/Euk/SciDiet/etc. I use Innova, and it's a gift from heaven! California Natural is made by the same company. Unfortunately, it was bit too expensive for me to feed BARF. Feeding two dobes (75 and 90 lbs.) according to BARF can get horribly expensive, not to mention inconvenient when we travel (which I do a lot).

Dobes seem to have a certain sensitivity to Nutro. I'd advise you stay away from that brand.

Full Member Full Dog Member
    Dry skin is a big problem in dogs. Try to use olive oil allover the body to get cured. This is one of the home remedy.
    ====================
    www.edogadvice.com

Senior Dog Member+
    Dry skin can be caused by a few things, usually its diet related or due to excessive bathing or heating in winter, what do you feed your dog?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast