Thread: Cant Get Him To Come To Me When Outside

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

I cant get our doberman to come when he is loose outside. He is so excited to be loose that he runs as fast as he can! Any suggestions?

I have three suggestions for you. 1) Work with him in a large fenced area. 2) Work with him on a long lead. 3) Don't let him run loose.

Angry

I had the same problem with my Doberman. I adopted him when he was a year old and he had been mistreated and neglected. [img]graemlins/flamingmad.gif[/img] At first, he would run around and sprain his leg cause he had never been allowed to have fun, so coming was no problem. But after a while, he started to take off more and more until I could no longer let him run without being in a fenced area. I tried EVERYTHING without success.
    When I got my Rottie as a puppy, I swore I would teach him to come. I started when he was very young, in a field playing hide and seek with him and having a treat for him whenever he found me. It took no time at all for it to be very difficult to hide, his attention is always focused on me. He is 3 now and usually glued to me.

This is a very hard habit to break. First of all never call your dog unless you are sure he will come or that you can make him come. Hence, the long line that Dawn talked about. Have him on a long line (thin cotton rope) works well, about 10 to 20 feet. When you call him say his name first (to get his attention), squat down and open your arms and call him with the command "come"!!! If he doesn't come give a tug on the rope saying "no" and command "come"!!! again. When he gets to you praise him exuberantly. Remember - do not ever call him unless you can make him come. The command come should be in a higher pitch - friendly tone. Be consistant-that is the ticket.

[ April 30, 2003, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: Norton ]