Thread: overbearing newfie

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Unhappy

i have recently purchased an 8 month old newfoundland who is extremely loveable and yet has had not much training. how would i go about teaching my 100 pound baby some manners?
    Cristina L. Rogers

Full Member Full Dog Member

The best path to take if you have no experience in teaching dogs or don't have the time is a dog trainer. They teach your dog all the manners he needs to be properly house trained. On the other hand if you do have time but not much experience I would recommend you buy a training book and reach through it, this will tell you all the imformation you need to teach your dog. If have anymore questions I would be very happy to help, so if that is so please just ask. I will get to you straight away! [img]smile.gif[/img] Oh and also welcome to the forum!
    ¤Dog Expert¤

Smile

thank you so much for the info. is there a book you can recommend? do you think training an 8 month old is much harder than a young puppy?
    Cristina L. Rogers

Well it would have been better if you started training him at a younger age, but I'm sure it still won't be to hard to teach your dog at his age. Hmm a book. Well here is a list of books that I suggest and which have had high reviews.

Click For Joy by Melissa C. Alexander

Culture Class by Jean Donaldson

Clicker Training For Dogs by Karen Pryor

If I think of anymore I'll give you a shout. Please keep me updated on your progress, I am very interested about this topic. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    ¤Dog Expert¤

Talking

thank you so much for your ideas. i will most definatly keep you updated.
    Cristina L. Rogers

Thankyou very much!
    ¤Dog Expert¤

My Molly (shepherd mix) is about a year old. I got her from the shelter 3 months ago. Her and I are going to dog obedience class once a week. That's all it takes. It's fun. You're with people who love dogs. It gets you out with your dog.

It's never too late.

If you can afford one hour a week, and daily practice check out the phone book for local trainers. Also adult schools offer obedience training. Petsmart offers classes.

Good Luck.
    I love cats too.

Senior Dog Member

I would definately reccomend either going to classes or finding a good dog trainer for first time training. I would have been lost with my first dog if it weren't for my trainer.

My trainer told me - it's normally the owners that need the training. It's true.