Thread: Pimple? Puss filled bump.. Vet appt neccessary?

Pimple? Puss filled bump.. Vet appt neccessary?

Roxy has a whack of skin problems. She's had a few skin infections, where her skin was red, flaky and she has "postules" on her belly.

I just felt a small lump on her side, about the size of the butt-end of a pen.

I moved her hair aside and it was a little red. So I squeeze it. Puss came out, and then blood. Now it's REALLY red. It's still a lump, almost like when you pop a zit before it's time and there's still some clear stuff in there that'll turn into puss with time.

Is this a sign of another skin infection? I can't find any postules on her belly. Do dogs get pimples? I can't find any others on her body.
    Roxys' life motto: Me!
    Hades' life motto: Ball!

Pom Mom Senior Dog Member+ Deb's Tiny Dogs's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Roxy has a whack of skin problems. She's had a few skin infections, where her skin was red, flaky and she has "postules" on her belly.

I just felt a small lump on her side, about the size of the butt-end of a pen.

I moved her hair aside and it was a little red. So I squeeze it. Puss came out, and then blood. Now it's REALLY red. It's still a lump, almost like when you pop a zit before it's time and there's still some clear stuff in there that'll turn into puss with time.

Is this a sign of another skin infection? I can't find any postules on her belly. Do dogs get pimples? I can't find any others on her body.

It's hard to know exactly what it is. Bogey has a lump on his leg that when squeezed forces out a thick, creamish colored, cheesy-like substance. The vet says it's a type of cyst that's more of a nuisance and can be removed the next time he's "under" for dental cleaning. I try not to squeeze it, but do occasionally. If I do, I always wet it thoroughly with hydrogen peroxide then Polysporin ointment for a few days after.

Probably best to let your vet take a look at it to make sure it's not something serious.
    Forever my boys, Bogey and Miko. All my love till we meet again.

Member OTHG Senior Dog Member+ Dauxside's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It could be a staph infection - myself I'd opt for a vet check just to be sure.
    CJ ~ and the Dauxside of the Moon Gang
    I believe in dragons, fairies, good men and other mythical beasties

I'm thinking I will too Deb. With all of her skin issues I'd be a fool to let something like this go without the vet at least seeing it, if nothing, to give her a better idea of what goes on with Roxy's skin.

I hope it's not a cyst though Poor Roxy, we just got her seborrhea under control and now this. I hope dogs' do get pimples and it's not something she has to be put under for. In the past two years she's been under... three times I think!

I will put some Polysporin on it now though, thanks Deb.

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member
    I would take the pup to the vet. It never hurts to have someone that see this stuff everyday take a look at it. Please see my recent thread on what my pup went through. I am glad I acted quickly.

I will keep your pup in my prayers.

I spoke to my vet on the phone to make an appt and she said it's not necessary.

She's pretty positive that it sounds as though a "sebaceous" gland may have gotten clogged or something along those lines. I guess it's like an ingrown hair, where a hair was supposed to come out but didn't. The results of Roxy's biopsy did say there was clogging or clumping by the hair follicles (thank goodness my vet didn't shave her to take it) so this isn't really a surprise to her.

She said Polysporin and hydrogen peroxide too. If it's still really red in four or five days she said to bring her in.

Thanks guys.

B Senior Dog Member+
    There is a Beardie that comes in every week and he has something like that on his tail and a couple on his body that are small. The one on his tail is exactly like what Deb described and my boss squeezes it every week (it's pretty gross to watch).

Since I have hairless dogs they sometimes get pimples (not often) but I don't touch them, getting them infected can lead to a staph infection.

Worriaholic Senior Dog Member+ BabyElephant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We found something like this on Harvey's belly last week - on closer inspection we found a splinter of wood had worked its way in to his skin. I managed to remove the splinter, squeezed the pus out and then I applied some gel to help the skin heal and keep it clean.

Hopefully it's nothing serious for you and it clears up on its own.
    Quote Originally Posted by micki View Post
    Lipsticks are lost everyday but love is forever

Crazy4Canines Senior Dog Member+ EmmaGirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dauxside View Post
    It could be a staph infection - myself I'd opt for a vet check just to be sure.
    I agree. If it isn't staph at this point, it can easily turn into a staph infection.
    EG, Emma, Dak & Maddie
    We long for an affection altogether ignorant of our faults. Heaven has accorded this to us in the uncritical canine attachment. ~George Eliot