Thread: 12 weeks old wont go outside

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Angry

Hi not to long ago i posted about my dandie dinmont (buddy) .But now a new problem my 12 week old black lab puppy was doing well potty training but newfoundland now has snow and he does not want to go out he much rather mess in my daughters room, he use to wine to go out to but not any more.tried crating even but will do it their too he has doubled he's size also so crating seems almost impossable help plz

Full Member Full Dog Member

Arrow

I was looking @ a dog magazine today and i saw that they sell doggie litter boxes....... I don't know if it would pose more of a problem when the snow melts to get the dog to go outside, but in might be worth looking in to.
    this is your life, is it everything you dreamed that it would be <br />when the world was younger and you had everything to lose

Senior Dog Member

I've never had a problem with my dogs not going out in the snow. My problem is trying to get them in out of the snow - lol! But - my mom's dachshund won't go outside if it's cold. She eventually ended up having to pick him up and take him outside. Also - do you have other dogs - that might help if they all go out together.

well breezzy the litter sounded great until i looked at him and remebered he's a lab and those poops are small now but by spring,im going to need a big *** litter box,lol but thanks for the info didnt know they made them for dogs.on to the next person well i also have two other dogs the problem is the pup will run out side a head of them and before the last dog is out the pup is back in hiding so he doesnt have to go back out,thought about carring him but by spring he's going to be biger then me were talking big black lab...help

Put a leash on him and lead him out, don't let him soil in your house just because he doesn't like snow. When we were fostering our American Bulldog she didn't like to go out in the rain so I had to put a rain coat on, clip the leash to her collar and lead her out. I wouldn't take her back in until she went (this is only when I knew she had to go), so soon enough she figured out that it would be fastest to run out and go and she'd be inside quicker. I know its cold but sometimes we gotta do what we gotta do.

Take treats with you. He'll follow you out then! Our Dane doesn't like the rain much but believe me I make him go out. What did you mean about crating? You put him in there when he has to go out???? Or maybe you meant its hard to put him in the crate when you leave because of his size. Vader is 8 months & over 100 lbs already. He knows I'm boss. Part of the training process though. If you have a hard time getting your dog to go in the crate then again use treats. Always positive reinforcement with rewards (praise & treat / sometimes just praise). Good luck! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Bow Wow Beds

[ February 03, 2004, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: Amberlii ]

Smile

Hi there! yes it's a funny thing, labs love to swim, splash in big puddles, but when it's raining or you show them the bath you'd think we were living on another planet. my suggestion if your lab absolutely refuses, put some paper in the laundry, if you can or will, put some of his/her poo on it, show him, put him in laundry after every feed, drink, he will get the hang of it till the snow goes, by then yes his poos will be big, but better on paper than carpet.