Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colour - Temperament in Pugs

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Colour - Temperament in Pugs

In general, is there a significant difference in temperament between black pugs and fawn pugs?

Some of the psycho dogs that request me at work are pugs that are absolutely insane. I think I've done at least fawn pugs (one smutty), all of whom were completely insane, involving a lot of scrambling and nipping. BUT I've done one black pug who is a perfect doll. I've also seen at least a dozen fawn pugs in agility, but no black ones.

Is it the norm for black pugs to be more laid back, and fawns to be more high strung?
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

meany patrol deputy Senior Dog Member+
    I own both and I will say MY blacks are more laid back than my fawn.
    That said, I have to say my friend's black is just as wild as her fawn and they both are related to my Shushu thru a granddam. Shushu is my most laid back.She was always my lap baby.
    Also I think because pugs are wild/busy hard headed, pups and I mean until 2 or 3 yrs old, then they are sofa lumps. So they get a reputation for wildness from their complete stubborn puppyness and joyful attitude towards life.

Pugs have a really strong stubborn streak and you must work with that to train them.
    And the younger the better. The way people treat their dogs like human spoiled baby is absolutely the wrong way to train a pug, if you want to have a well behaved one.
    The breed isn't for the namby pamby IMO you must be the dominant one from day
    one.
    Truthfully I haven't really gotten as attached to my fawn bitch, Mei, she just is too willful for me lol
    And the SHEDDING, UGH! she sheds way more than my 3 blacks do.
    Life is short. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that makes you smile."

Master Groomer Senior Dog Member+ Cearbhaill's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My experiences in grooming say that the fawns are far more difficult to work with than the blacks. But then they are more common, more likely to be owned by novice owners, more likely to be poorly bred, etc. It's a 'which came first' sort of issue

Fruit Platter mama! Senior Dog Member+ Savage Destiny's Avatar
    Personally I don't find a difference between the colours. I've done good and difficult Pugs of both colours, although unfortunately the easy ones are few and far between.
    Do what is best for your animal, not what is best for yourself.

Master Groomer Senior Dog Member+ Cearbhaill's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I was never asked to shave a black and we did fawns out the yahoo. The blacks are single coated right? Much easier to maintain!

not all blacks are single coated but the ones that are double seem to be the ones with a fawn parent and more fawn in the lines.
    my blacks ( both have a fawn parent) are single and they have produced both single and double coated fawn pups.
    I guess it is just a matter of how the genes play out.
    Life is short. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that makes you smile."

Couch Potato City
    Blog Entries
    Well I have never owned a pug obviously-But in going to dog shows my whole life, I have noticed that the fawns do seem to have a thicker coat than the blacks. .. ( for what its worth..)

Bee-See-Luv-R Senior Dog Member+ Bclover92's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The black i knew was WAY more highstrung than the fawns I have known. although I think this girl who owned it didnt do enough with it.
    Abby and the Defying Gravity Dogs
    Ammardans Skyes the Limit CGC AX OAJ XF 0/3 AXJ 1/10 MXF 4/10 MX <3 Heart Dog
    DarnFars Footprints on the Moon CGC NA OAJ NF 2/3 OA 1/3 AXJ 1/3 OF *My Reason to Smile*
    Heaven's Gift Levi Gabriel *Family Friend*

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member
    Quote Originally Posted by micki View Post
    not all blacks are single coated but the ones that are double seem to be the ones with a fawn parent and more fawn in the lines.
    my blacks ( both have a fawn parent) are single and they have produced both single and double coated fawn pups.
    I guess it is just a matter of how the genes play out.
    I have a question for your micki.

i have heard that its not good to mix the fawns with black, that you have to choose one and only breed either black to black or fawn to fawn, Because the fawns can go smutty and the blacks are not jet black like they are suposed to be.......... Is this true in your experience?

Also apricot, my fawn pug has apricot on her chest, face and legs, does this mean she could produce an apricot? Or how does that work. (I know apricot is not a "real" color but it looks cool)

Do you know anything about silver pugs?

And what do you think about brindle and white pugs?
    Iams:
    We won't buy while Dogs and Cats die.

first off brindle IMO isn't a color true pugs ever had and isn't accepted by Pug Dog Club of America, 3000 yrs and no brindle pugs, so where did that come from?? some Boston terrier I believe.
    Secondly, yes smutty pugs can happen. Have I ever had one NO, keeping good lines with clear coats is what matters.
    most people don't understand the silver pug color. My blacks have them in the lines and Shushu had a silver pup in her first litter. dove grey with clear not smutty coat and black mask and trace. My vet at the time raised pugs and even showed and AKC judged years ago, he told me he was a true silver. the woman who bought him said her vet wouldn't let her neuter him until they collected semen from him for a research litter because the color is very misunderstood. IMO he was just a pet quality pup but if it helps with genetic research go for it. He is now fixed and living the high life. we never had another.
    I believe the silver will be found to come out of blacks because the apricot fawn was bred so much it almost bred out the silver color
    this is from the PDCA recently
    Letter to All Judges of Pugs from the Pug Dog Club of America

June 11, 2008
    The Pug Dog Club of America recently changed our standard by adding a disqualification for color. We simply stated that the pug is Fawn or Black. This letter is to clarify that disqualification.
    Recently we have seen Brindle marked pugs and off color (i.e. Blue) in the ring. PDCA wants to make very clear these are not to be rewarded. They must be disqualified from the show ring.
    Fawn
    As you know fawn is seen in many breeds. Therefore, PDCA would like to give judges a guide, and not a strict rule as to what constitutes fawn for our breed. Fawn for the Pug Dog is from apricot to silver and all shades between. The coat may, or may not, include black guard hairs. Smuttiness is when the coat has an overlay of black over the fawn. This usually does not cover the entire dog and sometimes it looks like a blanket over the back. There may also be darker coloring on the legs. Smuttiness is a fault not a disqualification.
    The trace may or may not be present. The PDCA would prefer that Pugs have a trace (black line down the back) but because they have been bred for clear coats for so long Pugs have lost most of their trace. You will occasionally see traces that really are a thin black line and you will also see some that are wider. You will often see this trace in young dogs and not so often in adults. Pug puppies are born almost black and the color becomes clearer as they grow. Typically, the trace in a very light apricot dog will not be black but a darker shading of apricot. Variances in the trace are not a disqualification and are covered under Markings in the Breed Standard. The trace is not part of the color disqualification.
    Black
    A black pug is just that – Black. Sometimes you will see a pug with a red cast to their coat. This usually is due to sunburn and is not a disqualification.
    A pug, black or fawn, may have a small white patch on the chest, this is only a fault, not a disqualification.
    Some pugs, both fawn and black, may gray in the muzzle at an early age and should not be faulted.
    Please refer to our Illustrated Standard for any questions you may have or feel free to contact me. If you do not have a copy of our Illustrated Standard please let me know and I will send you one.
    Thank you,
    Donnelle Richards
    Judges Education Chairman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast