Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Do You Use For Flea Treatment?

What Do You Use For Flea Treatment?

Hey Guys
    What kind of flea topical do you use for your dogs? What about your pregnant and lactating bitches? My grandparents and I are arguing about what kind of flea treatment to use on my dog. She's expecting puppies soon and I feel that is VERY important not to have fleas getting on her puppies. He went to "his" vet (an old-time vet who I take with a grain of sand) and he says to not do anything with fleas on her to just leave her be.

Does that seem safe to you? It surely doesn't to me. I want to give her a capstar and then use frontline, as they both are safe for pregnant and lactating bitches. Anyways, what are your guys' feelings on it?

AWESOME! ADCH Devlin Senior Dog Member+ bdrcol22's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Does she have fleas? I would not bother with a capstar if she does not. I use Frontline on my dogs normally, but while my bitch was pregnant and nursing, I did not re apply. I did not put it back on her until my pup was old enough to get his first dose (8 weeks I believe is on label.) It does say that it is safe for pregnant/lactating bitches... But I did not want to chance it. I had a lot of trouble getting her pregnant, so I was taking no unneeded risks.

Darkwind Dizzy Miss Lizzy "Lizzy", Rav'nLeigh's Seize the Day "Devlin", Terbo Knew Her as Nancy of Rav'nLeigh "Lil", Centaurea's Rainy Day Remedy "Remi"
    Rav'nLeigh's Ob La Di "Desmond", Rav'nLeigh's Ob La Da "Molly" & Rav'nLeigh's Life Goes On "Jones"

Blog Entries
    Another thought... Bathe mom in a Ivory dish soap... Drowns the fleas... Also make sure that the environment is flea free!

Darkwind Dizzy Miss Lizzy "Lizzy", Rav'nLeigh's Seize the Day "Devlin", Terbo Knew Her as Nancy of Rav'nLeigh "Lil", Centaurea's Rainy Day Remedy "Remi"
    Rav'nLeigh's Ob La Di "Desmond", Rav'nLeigh's Ob La Da "Molly" & Rav'nLeigh's Life Goes On "Jones"

I feel any pesticidal or insecticidal treatment is basically poison we are putting on our dogs. Dauxside knows alot about natural treatments and I'm sure she'll ring in on this thread. Diatomaceous Earth or fossil shell flour works to kill fleas and other pests and it's nontoxic as long as you get the human or feed grade DE. You can also deworm your pets with it if you mix it with their food meaning it's that safe that you can eat it without doing harm. Try not to inhale it while you dust them with it.

For fleas you dust your dog with the powder and their bedding, carpeting, etc to make sure you get all the areas they could be living. The sharp edges of the fossils cut the fleas or pests and they basically dry out and die. It's a much safer approach to flea/tick control but everyone has there preferences.
    Must of been nature that messed up on us

Blog Entries
    I always give a bath with Ivory Bar Soap. And then after the bath make sure to pick off any fea you can still on her.
    There would be no way that i would put anything like frountline on her while she is pregnant or nursing.
    Dogs are like childern but with fur.
    They are my best friend and lover.
    With out them i wouldn't be complete.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cotonbacchus View Post
    I feel any pesticidal or insecticidal treatment is basically poison we are putting on our dogs. Dauxside knows alot about natural treatments and I'm sure she'll ring in on this thread. Diatomaceous Earth or fossil shell flour works to kill fleas and other pests and it's nontoxic as long as you get the human or feed grade DE. You can also deworm your pets with it if you mix it with their food meaning it's that safe that you can eat it without doing harm. Try not to inhale it while you dust them with it.

For fleas you dust your dog with the powder and their bedding, carpeting, etc to make sure you get all the areas they could be living. The sharp edges of the fossils cut the fleas or pests and they basically dry out and die. It's a much safer approach to flea/tick control but everyone has there preferences.

Where do you get Diatomaceous Earth or fossil shell flour. I need some of that for my yard.
    Dogs are like childern but with fur.
    They are my best friend and lover.
    With out them i wouldn't be complete.

I picked a 50 pound bag up for $25 dollars at a local feed mill. Pretty reasonable and it does work.
    Must of been nature that messed up on us

water dogs rock!! Senior Dog Member+ HovawartMom's Avatar
    I use Frontline!.
    My Golden's slideshow:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3cQhJc2LDM
    My Hovawart's slideshow:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh_1toD6xtc
    If you don't like a wet,shedding dog,don't get a Golden or an Hovawart!.

Yes, unfortunately, she does have fleas. She has been flea free up to now. Our cat got out and I think she brought them back in from wandering. Right now we have our other 2 dogs on a spray to keep fleas off of them (got it from the vet). The vet only carries Advantix and I don't want to use Advantix... No vet I've talked to says anything against using Frontline on pregnant dogs. Unfortunately, I don't think anything holistic will be used as my grandparents would probably just laugh at that. I know when I have MY dog at MY house when I move this summer, I will not use any topical/chemical treatments, but that's not up to me right now

Blog Entries
    Like I said, and I know I am in the minority, but I use Frontline. I have been very happy with it for many years. I just did not feel comfortable using it while my girl was pregnant... Just didn't sit well with me. I have heard good things about the DE, but I have never used it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast