Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: when can i introduce puppy to water

Full Member Full Dog Member doodle's Avatar

Cool when can i introduce puppy to water

my pup is 11 weeks (golden doodle) and i've never had a so-called water dog before, only mastifs who walked around puddles. we live on the delaware river and do plenty of canoeing and kayaking. i'm not sure at what age i can get this pup in the river.

1 wags, 1 wiggles Senior Dog Member+ RiverKayleesMuM's Avatar
    wait until he is about 4 or 5 months to get im into the river but go ahead and introduce him to water like a lil baby pool or something.
    Come on, lets dance!

Thumbs up

thanks, i'll get him a kiddie pool asap

Labified Senior Dog Member+ GretaJack's Avatar
    Oh, my labs love kiddie pools. I have had my dogs swimming as young as 8 weeks but I don't necesarily recommend it. It depends on the body of water. It has to be very calm. And puppies are so clumsy and don't have great coordination. A bad first experience can ruin a dog for life with water.

Definitely start with the pool. Slowly introduce him to it. Don't force it.

I would say that a goldendoodle should have enough strength and coordination starting at 6 months for good swimming. But be your own judge. My first lab jumped in the ocean when he was 12 weeks old and we couldn't keep him out after that.
    See Jacob grow http://katiejmcnamara.blogspot.com

Missed Greatly, Forever Remembered. In memory of my lost ones; Moby (9/13/03), Carbon (09/13/03), Tanner (10/16/05), Aries (07/31/07) and Millie (09/25/07).

we have a large shallow lake nearby, when it gets a little warmer i'll go in with him, but it just started snowing here again. PLEASE WINTER END NOW!!!

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Puppies can be very sensitive to cold water, be careful. Once the puppy has 3 mo vaccs, so 14 weeks, you can bring her down. Maybe drop a ball in very shallow water, and let her venture in herself if she chooses.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

With electrolytes Senior Dog Member+ Meisti's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yup - wait until your dog is about 4, 5, or even 6 months old for anything that requires serious swimming (such as the Delaware). The kiddie pool is a great way to introduce your puppy to water as are shallow ponds or small streams in which your puppy can stand. Always remember to have fun with it - don't force your dog or you'll teach him to be afraid of water rather than to like it. Some dogs are "naturals" and they have no problems emersing themselves in even the roughest ocean water. Others need to be coaxed and even tricked to go in.

do you think at 4 months i can take him in the canoe on the lake and if so should i bother with one of those life vests?

With electrolytes Senior Dog Member+ Meisti's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    doodle - I think you can. Four months seems very young to me but dogs instinctively know how to swim and if it came to it, I am sure he'd know how to keep his nose above water. It might be a good idea to introduce him to water beforehand, though. It will give him and you a little more confidence and will also tell you what you can and cannot expect from him. Also, until you are certain of his ability, I would use a life vest for him. Better waste a few dollars on a vest that you might not need than to accidentally have your puppy drown.

Thumbs up

always safety first---i appreciate the advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast