Thread: mating

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Red face mating

I have a female husky that has been in heat for 23 days total. I thought she was out of heat so I let her out today for the 1st time in 23 days. To my dismay the male mated with her. Is it possible that she will not become preganant? Thank you for anyone who responds....

Jim

There is a possibility that she won't, but there is also a possibility that she will. It would be best if you act like she is pregnant for her well being. If you don't want her to get pregnant, the best solution is to get her spayed now. If not then you'll want to watch her over the next few weeks for signs of pregnancy.

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If the dogs completed the tie - yes it is possible that she is pregnant. IF you don't want to breed her - the vet can spay her now also aborting any pups.

If you wish to keep her intact for future breedings, you could talk to your vet about your options. Or wait to see if she is and let her complete the pregnancy.

A veterinarian using palpation and/or ultrasound at about 28 days after breeding can confirm pregnancy.
    Last edited by Dax; 03-23-2005 at 08:15 PM.

yes watch her veryclose the next couple ofweeks there are great sites on here about pregnancy signs ....are planning to breed her if not have her spayed!

Not 100 percent sure because i dont own a female but i think you can go to the vet and he will give her something that will stop the prenancy, thats if you dont want to spay her for later breeding. If you want to avoid all the possbilities of mating, then just spay her.
    I'm a superhero with no powers or motivation. - eXile

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaxAriel's Toy
    If the dogs completed the tie - yes it is possible that she is pregnant. IF you don't want to breed her - the vet can spay her now also aborting any pups.

If you wish to keep her intact for future breedings, you could talk to your vet about your options. Or wait to see if she is and let her complete the pregnancy.

A veterinarian using palpation and/or ultrasound at about 28 days after breeding can confirm pregnancy.
    There are blood tests at 26 days that can comfirm if she is pregnant or not.