Thread: Male dog not eating during female's heat

Bite Me. Senior Dog Member+ Maliraptor's Avatar

Male dog not eating during female's heat

We've talked a bit before about males not eating while females in the house are in heat-

Draco himself gets picky for a few days...

BUT- HOW FAR have you seen a male dog carry this "not eating"? Skin and bones? Hospitalization?
    "Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too." --Voltaire

Blog Entries
    My experience was never any more than just a few days. They didn't stop eating until a bitch was in full bloom. They began eating again as soon as the bitches would no longer have been receptive. A slight weight loss would sometimes be noticeable but nothing dramatic.

IMO The critical time in the heat cycle doesn't last long enough for a healthy dog to harm themselves by not eating. Unless they were kept in a situation where there were always bitches in heat of course. Which would be a rather unlikely scenario.

Thanks, that has been my experience, too. If anyone has different experience, please let me know.
    "Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too." --Voltaire

Banned (temp) Senior Dog Member+
    Blog Entries
    I have only seen not eating for those peak days. Even the males that have never bred before and totally confused when the " time is right" seem to only be affected during that time. As stated usually only a couple of pounds in a large dog. Another thing that helps is take the male dogs out first so the smell of the female dogs urine is not fresh. ( ie no need to have a constant reminder for them.) Taking the males for a long walk away from the house helps too. Just remember though, the male will have the odor of a female in season ( however slight) in their coat so be on the look out for other male dogs that are loose... ( learned that one the hard way many years ago..)

Loves Karma Senior Dog Member+ rutylr's Avatar
    Luckly Elwood still eats while bitches are in season.A little slower,but still eats all his food.
    SG2,URO1,GRCH,UCI Intl CH Kendall HIC,RN,RL1,AOE-L1,CW-ZR1,CW-SR
    BIS,RBIS,RBIMBS,V,UCI Intl/UKC/CH,URO3, ARCHX Buckwheat RLPX,AOE-P,RE,CW-ZR1,CW-SR,HIC,BN,RL1X,AOE-1,RL2X,AOE-2,CAX,Total dog
    VP3,UCI Intl/UKC/AKC CH, URO1 Darla HIC,CA,Total dog

Thanks everyone.

I saw, last night, some pretty severe weight loss in a dog. This boy is probably down 20-25# from 75, from not eating when females are in heat at the owner's home.

Quote Originally Posted by rutylr View Post
    Luckly Elwood still eats while bitches are in season.A little slower,but still eats all his food.

This is what Draco does, now. When he was younger he's have maybe 2-3 days he would not finish his food, but now he just takes his time...he's almost 5 and must be figuring out that none of the girls are for him.

Crazy Like My Boxers Senior Dog Member+ BratBoxers's Avatar
    Gunnar refused food for 5 days, ate very minimally for the beginning and end of the cycle. He was pretty pathetic looking to say the least.
    Bratcher's Kentucky Sunrise, CGC
    RagTyme Bratcher's Box office hit

Member OTHG Senior Dog Member+ Dauxside's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sorry if this offends anyone - but we've used blood from the butchers to encourage males to eat. I don't know if it's the blood smell that gets them going but mixed in with a smaller portions of food (which means that they get fed several times a day) we've not had a male lose a lot of condition.
    CJ ~ and the Dauxside of the Moon Gang
    I believe in dragons, fairies, good men and other mythical beasties