Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which small dog?

Full Member Full Dog Member

Question Which small dog?

Hi

We are looking to get a small dog, we both like the Mini Bull Terriers/Mini Pinscher and Jack Russell's. Does anyone have experience of theres dogs good and bad? We need some help choosing which one is best for us.

Thanks,

Labified Senior Dog Member+ GretaJack's Avatar
    Personally, I have hated all of the min pins that I have know but their owners let them take the small dog mentality. They weren't trained what so ever since they were little dogs. They bit, barked growled and jumped. Pet peeve 1,2,3 and 4. But I guess you blame to owner for that.

I love JRTs. But they are extremely high energy little dogs. They need to have a lot of activity and obedience training is a must with these dogs. Their smart brains will get them into a lot of trouble if they get bored. JRTs are also awesome agility dogs.

And I know nothing about bull terriers.

What is your household like? What is the activity level? Do you have any young children?
    See Jacob grow http://katiejmcnamara.blogspot.com

Missed Greatly, Forever Remembered. In memory of my lost ones; Moby (9/13/03), Carbon (09/13/03), Tanner (10/16/05), Aries (07/31/07) and Millie (09/25/07).

Which Small Dog?

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, we have a nice sized house, 3 cats about 1 year old I'm at home all the time so will be able to train a puppy. I have heard that the Bull Terriers and Jacks dont get on with other cats/dogs but surely if you train from a puppy they will ok? We have no kids.

Thanks,

Will work for bird seed Senior Dog Member+ Appylvr's Avatar
    I've heard bull terriers are one of the BEST family dogs you can have. They are very good with kids. That's if they are (like any dog) socialized properly and trained right.
    A solitary ride through the bush is more beneficial than six months with the best psychiatrist

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Have you had dogs before? How much exercise time are you willing to spend with it?

I think the Bull Terrier is your best bet. The other two are off the wall, run, run, run types.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

I can excerise them all day if I have too, Im not afraid of it. I love being outside anyway. I havent owned a dog before but my partner has and he'll help me train it and I will take it to classes as well :-)

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The dogs you mention in your first post would certainly not be on my short list for an inexperienced owner. Especially not Jack Russells. Have you considered any others/

We are wanting to a smallish dog, what sort would you suggest?

Full Member Full Dog Member doodle's Avatar
    my friend has 2 Jack Russells and boy, are they hyper. they sure are cute but seem to be a real handful. they never run out of energy, even as adults and I would be worried with a J.R. driving the cats crazy.

1 wags, 1 wiggles Senior Dog Member+ RiverKayleesMuM's Avatar
    yea I wouldnt get a jack if you havent had a dog before! ummm maybe a dachshund or chihuahua. You could try a rat terrier though I wouldnt if you are inexperienced.hmmm maybe a min poodle.
    Come on, lets dance!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast