Thread: Training Husky for Guard Dog?

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Question

Hi, I'm new here and I just got done signing up.

I have 2 husky's (mixed with rottweiler) they look just like a husky (one is black N White, One is Choclate redish N white) but their attitude is just like a rottweiler. They are very protective against
    animals, but we are going to move to a big land (30 acres) where my mother will be home by her self.

I want to find a not too expensive place for them to get trained to attack on command or stop attacking on command. Do you think they are going to pass the pray/drive test? Is this the wrong breed? Any suggestions? I live in NC by the way!
    Regards, <br />Peyman

Full Member Full Dog Member

Are you sure you want to do that? I've noticed some of your other posts have mentioned that one or both (I can't remember for sure) of the dogs have issues with dog aggression. Do you think it would be a good idea to attack-train them? Obviously, I don't know your dogs or anything like that, I'm throwing out thoughts.

Also, I lived alone in the country, across the road from a methamphetamine lab (!), for years with just my dog. He's not an attack dog or anything like that, but he's big enough (50#) that he looks like he could do some damage, and he barks when people drive in or come to the door. I was never bothered when I lived there, and I think his presence was enough to keep people at a distance. That might be enough for your mom.

Good luck!

Hey, thanks for your thoughts and reply. Well, the thing is, my parents wouldn't let me spend that much money on dog training, I found I place in North Carolina where they do this for about $1200 a dog, and I have 2 of them.

I think their presence is going to be enough too.
    Everyone that knows or has seen my dogs are scared of them because they are so protective. I just thought it would be a plus to controll their anger with commands. No, I'm not a little immature kid that want everyone to get hurt by my dogs. I'm a mature 16 year old that wants the best for my moms protection.

Also, my 2 dogs bark if someone comes close to our house, and they growl too.

More thoughts are very welcome.

Oh by the way, I will send pics of them as soon as someone tells me how to do it.
    Regards, <br />Peyman

You might not be immature, and you might not want to get hurt by your dogs, but from what I've read, someone's going to get hurt.

Mom and WSS Breeder Senior Dog Member+ NicoleLJ's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would go in the completely oposite direction and train them to accept and love people. Go to obedience classes and such. I have had numorous rescues and have always trained them to love poeple and they were all great with them. But when push came to shove and someone seemed to threaten me they were always there and they weren't trained to be protective. If you love them they will protect you but an untrained dog is a dangerous dog. What will you do if one gets off a lead and bites or attacks a young child that wanders onto the property?

Hey Nicolel_J,

Thats exacly what I'm saying. They are very protective right now, and it would be a problem if they got out the fence and attacked someone.
    Now, the reason I want to do this is because if they get trained to attack on command, they will only attack on command and I would not have to worry about them running away and hurt a three year old. [img]graemlins/flamingmad.gif[/img]

My neighboor has a german shepherd and a St. Bernard and they have this kind of training and they can let them out of the fence and are friendly. But me, I'm stuck here in the ditch with 2 options, and which ever view I look at it from, its the better solution to do as I mentioned. I dont know?
    Regards, <br />Peyman

i have a husky also he is very loving and playfull to evrey one around but i also trained him to be very protective by calls...... to do this i do not use words i use noises for example while i was training him to do this as a pup they know tht when something is wrong with another dog they yelp a high pitched yelp u know what im talking about if u ever steped on a dogs toes on accsident ..... i got on the ground and had a freind fake punch me and what not while he was doing this i was yelping... my puppy husky jumped on his arm and bit him very badly... while training after a session is done shake hands or hug or whatever with the person to let your husky know that its ok... now all i have to do is yell ahhhhhh help help and he will bite and claw anyone who he thinks is hurting me this is just simple trainng but u have to be pationt

old thread alert