Thread: beard staining on a PBGV

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

beard staining on a PBGV

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a product to get out the nasty beard staining on a white dog? My youngest son just got the prettiest little PBGV to show in Juniors & in breed and we are having a crazy time trying to keep that beard looking clean. She eats or drinks and it is nasty again.

Thanks
    Melisa

Master Groomer Senior Dog Member+ Cearbhaill's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Serious showpeople wash beards after every meal and dry them after every drink possible. A waterless shampoo like Self Rinse is easy- spritz on, towel through and off.
    With a white dog nine tenths of the battle is to prevent the stain in the first place. Drinking from a water bottle instead of out of a bowl will do wonders, and is my number one recommendation. Eliminate foods and treats with dye or beet pulp.

Once it is set it is next to impossible to remove- there are 100 concoctions from Magic Touch+ peroxide to chalk+ peroxide cream to milk of magnesia+ peroxide. Many folks use equine grooming products with heavy duty stain removers.
    I would consult with the dogs breeder to find out what they recommend.

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member
    thanks so much.

We just got her. We talked with the breeder who is full of information just thought someone else might have more ideas. We have just never dealt with a breed with a white beard before. I have mastiffs and bichons frises and have never had to much of a problem with them have stains around their mouths and they are just pets, but my mastiffs are show dogs.

I thought someone might have an idea or product recommendation that we haven't been told about yet.

I wonder how hard it is to teach a dog to drink from a bottle. I will have to look into that. Thanks

Master Groomer Senior Dog Member+ Cearbhaill's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kindredmastiffs View Post
    I wonder how hard it is to teach a dog to drink from a bottle. I will have to look into that. Thanks
    It's very easy- most of the coated Toy breeds do it, and lots of others with white beard issues like Beardies, OES, etc.

USAFA mom Senior Dog Member+ Bellabianca's Avatar
    Bottled or filtered water might help. Keep a good eye on dental health. Also, using a de-tangler with a coat protectant could help (such as White on White)
    "If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other."
    -Mother Teresa