Thread: More training

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

I have an almost two year old Cocker spaniel. Dispite what you may have hear, or experianced with this breed she is a great dog. I just have one problem - When she gets super bored she becomes distructive. We can't give her any extra chewies or treats because shes on a restricted diet and the other dogs might try to steal them from her and result in a squable. Any other sugestions?

She went through Puppy and Basic training classes like breeze. She's so smart and eager to please - it took my five minutes to teach her how to shake consistantly without any previous training. I could go on and on on the list of commands/tricks she can do. When I'm training her, she's less bored and consiquently less distructive. Thing is, I'm fresh out of things to teach her. Does any body have things I could teach her, that would take some time to teach her fully? I taught her to shut doors, cabinent doors ect like an assistance dog, maybe some thing like that??? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Labified Senior Dog Member+ GretaJack's Avatar

Try starting her in agility or some form of training that will not only make her use her smarts but exhaust some of her energy. Find something that you and her both love.
    See Jacob grow http://katiejmcnamara.blogspot.com

Missed Greatly, Forever Remembered. In memory of my lost ones; Moby (9/13/03), Carbon (09/13/03), Tanner (10/16/05), Aries (07/31/07) and Millie (09/25/07).

Senior Dog Member

Spaniels are natural gun dogs, why not find your local gun dog club and try training her for that. Play to her strengths.
    My wolf hybrid Tara does all sorts of quirky tv type tricks like Playing dead, walking on her back legs, giving high fives, crawling on her belly, waving at people, switching on the tv, pulling the light switch cord in the bathroom, rolling over, hiding her eyes, running off in a given direction, barking and turning (sort of "follow me" thing), hopping on three legs, etc - try a few of those, also try teaching her to do them all from silent hand commands rather than voice commands, then she might actually be useful for tv, its a good career for a dog. You could also try teaching her to bring you the phone when it rings - and answer the doorbell by coming to get you. Teach her to run up the stairs and bring you things left at the top of the stairs (if you have stairs) Also teaching her to find your keys - no matter where you hide them could be really useful.
    Lou
    If you want something done ask a busy person to do it.

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Actually I have taught her a little backyard agility. Last summer me and some of the kids I watch during the day had a fun compition in my back yard. There were only four dogs there, but Maddie won
    I hadn't thought about the gun dog club. I refuse to shoot at anything alive (lol), but it would be just as great to have her do that and I could throw a dud or something. Most of the tricks your Tara does Maddie can do too, and whats funny is that she used to get in trouble when she was a puppy because she did the stairs thing and wouldn't stop. She'd bring us folded socks sometimes I'm definatly going to teach her to bring the phone when it rings, that's such a good idea!

[ February 04, 2004, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: Brattina88 ]