Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kennel drying machine warning!

water dogs rock!! Senior Dog Member+ HovawartMom's Avatar

Kennel drying machine warning!

The Today Show had a very sad piece on the potential danger of kennel drying machines. Please be aware, I never even thought about it before seeing this.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25966380/

Heartcore Senior Dog Member+ AtomicSkies's Avatar
    good grief!!! that poor dog why would anyone with any sense in their heads have it on that hot? i guess getting the dog done and out was more important
    "Life beats us down and crushes the soul...Art reminds us we have one"-unknown...see you later space cowboy...
    I love my mutts but ill never make more...spay and neuter your pets...marriage=♥+♥
    "I want all of you head to toe...heart to soul"-Kurt Halsey

Meanie in a truck Senior Dog Member+ agilitydog's Avatar
    How sad. That hot and that long?? Isn't that just common sense.
    Learn from other's mistakes. You will not be alive long enough to make them all on your own
    www.sittraining.blogspot.com

Wow. I never knew that they had heated kennel dryers.

I had always thought that there were just those big fans that they put on the dog in a metal crate.

So sad.
    Roxys' life motto: Me!
    Hades' life motto: Ball!

Master Groomer Senior Dog Member+ Cearbhaill's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It's a tool- just like any other tool it can be used correctly and be fine, or incorrectly and do damage.

Fruit Platter mama! Senior Dog Member+ Savage Destiny's Avatar
    Poor dog.

This is why the dryers we use don't have heaters. They just blow room temp air on the dog, because the heated dryers just get way too hot too fast. Although, even heated dryers are perfectly safe as long as the groomers are PAYING ATTENTION.
    Do what is best for your animal, not what is best for yourself.

Crazy4Canines Senior Dog Member+ EmmaGirl's Avatar
    I'm really shocked that someone would put the temp to 100 degrees for 30 mins!! We don't have such a thing in our shop. We force dry with a hand held dryer and place them in a cage with warm air that just helps to dry the head. They are never left unmonitored.

Sorry...I just had another thought. How can you possibly blow out an undercoat with such a dryer. My thought...you can't.
    EG, Emma, Dak & Maddie
    We long for an affection altogether ignorant of our faults. Heaven has accorded this to us in the uncritical canine attachment. ~George Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaGirl View Post
    I'm really shocked that someone would put the temp to 100 degrees for 30 mins!! We don't have such a thing in our shop. We force dry with a hand held dryer and place them in a cage with warm air that just helps to dry the head. They are never left unmonitored.

Sorry...I just had another thought. How can you possibly blow out an undercoat with such a dryer. My thought...you can't.

We don't use the force dryers just too noisy I am partially deaf in one ear from years of listening to those things we just brush in the tub while the dog is wet and soapy the hair comes out great and we don't do many double coated big jobs..

But I am shocked aswell that someone would leave a dog in there that long and with that heat can you say brainless we have cold air dryers

Crazy4Canines Senior Dog Member+ EmmaGirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kowwgurl View Post
    We don't use the force dryers just too noisy I am partially deaf in one ear from years of listening to those things we just brush in the tub while the dog is wet and soapy the hair comes out great and we don't do many double coated big jobs..

But I am shocked aswell that someone would leave a dog in there that long and with that heat can you say brainless we have cold air dryers
    LOL..that's why I wear ear plugs!
    EG, Emma, Dak & Maddie
    We long for an affection altogether ignorant of our faults. Heaven has accorded this to us in the uncritical canine attachment. ~George Eliot

Dobes Rule :) Senior Dog Member+ Luvmyjob's Avatar
    In the land of taxation with wacked out representation!
    You wouldn't believe how many Vet clinics that have boarding facilities use these upon bath day. I caught many a dog being dried on high heat due to the kennel help trying to get done quickly.Good post Laurie.
    It is easier to find a score of men wise enough to discover the truth than to find one intrepid enough, in the face of opposition, to stand up for it. ~A.A. Hodge

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast