Thread: Why does my dog ALWAYS smells like urine?

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Post Why does my dog ALWAYS smells like urine?

I have a 6 year old Golden Retriever and when he goes potty, he pees on his front legs. Therefore; it's hard to keep him smelling clean. Is there any supplements that I can give him to keep his urine from smelling?

Crazy4Canines Senior Dog Member+ EmmaGirl's Avatar
    I don't know of a supplement that reduces the smell of urine. That fact that he smells is simply because he pees on his own legs! I would suggest that after going potty, you wipe his legs down with a wash cloth with a mild shampoo (nicely scented), wash them off with the wash cloth then either air dry or towel dry. It's a pain, I know, but if he's got a thing about peeing on his front legs, then he is going to smell!
    EG, Emma, Dak & Maddie
    We long for an affection altogether ignorant of our faults. Heaven has accorded this to us in the uncritical canine attachment. ~George Eliot

Master Groomer Senior Dog Member+ Cearbhaill's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    There is a product called Self-Rinse (Google to find it) that is essentially a waterless shampoo. You spritz it on, rub up a lather with a towel, and use the same towel to rub it off. It takes three minutes- I use it after they chew bones and their forelegs are all nasty.

There are many breeds who use plastic leggings on dogs who pee like this- simple tubes with elastic at the top and bottom that you put on before he goes out and take off after he pees.

And last- the stream can be redirected surgically.

Please don't alter the urine itself in any way. The pH and bacterial balance inside the bladder is what it is for a reason- to prevent infections and other bladder diseases. Messing with that is not a good idea.

Crazy4Canines Senior Dog Member+ EmmaGirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
    Please don't alter the urine itself in any way. The pH and bacterial balance inside the bladder is what it is for a reason- to prevent infections and other bladder diseases. Messing with that is not a good idea.
    Great point Cear!!!
    EG, Emma, Dak & Maddie
    We long for an affection altogether ignorant of our faults. Heaven has accorded this to us in the uncritical canine attachment. ~George Eliot

i have a long coated lhasa and well u no what boys are like no aiming i do bath him reg as he is small but i just use baby wipes after he comes in and wipe his legs and belly it keeps him smelling nicer for longer
    What is the difference between a dog and a fox?

About 5 drinks