Thread: House breaking

Full Member Full Dog Member

Unhappy

Help!!! I have a 1yr neutered jack russell and 6mth spayed jack russell. I can't get them to stop doing their business in the house. They are in a mud room when I am not home and at night. I feel a crate at this point is cruel and the female will pee in her bed. What do I do?

Need more info,
    were they ever house trained as pups, it is pretty hard now they are older, but if they were once trained it is easy to get them back on track.
    The best time to catch them is straight after food or a drink, put them out and leave them out till thev'e done their buisness, I have had a dog stay that would wait till I let her back in to do it, she soon learnt otherwise.
    write back for more help.

Hi Karen,
    Did'nt check my pm. tried to pm. you but you don't have one.

Hi Ellierat,

Sorry about the pm. You can now pm me. Thanks for answering. Do you have any suggestions for me. I have been reading about housebreaking on this site and have done most of what people suggest. I really do not know what I am doing wrong. Many people at work say crate the dogs but I think it they will be in the crate too many hours and will act out. I just don't want to do that to them.

[ February 12, 2004, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: Karen ]

No I don't blame you for not wanting to crate them, I would'nt do it either.
    Well, I cant blame them for not wanting to go out in the snow. Do you have a shed or an undercover porch? My brothers poodle, which was mine till she decided to walk over to his place for a visit and not come back, will go on my porch if it's raining (when I look after her).
    I have always found the paper the best way if they simply can't go outside, so long as it has their smell of urine on it, or another dogs, as they love to sniff others and drop their own mark on the same spot.
    If you have nowhere outside, then the laundry or some such place, also I have set up a childs wooden play pen and kept my pups in there, short term.

They have a pen (snow covered right now) deck and under then deck area...all of which they use for the bathroom. The 3x5 mudroom where they sleep had incontinent pads( i am a nurse hahah) on the floor which they use as well. They also go anywhere else they chose. The rugs, the carpeted staircase, behind the couch, on the wood floors.
    This happens only when I am not in the room to see it, or if they break out of the mudroom while I am at work. They are frequently let outdoors and very rarely stay by themselves for more than 4 hrs at a time. I know I am doing something wrong I just don't know what it is.
    I am sorry to whine about this I just can't find anybody to tell me what to do other than get rid of them or crate them. Both not options for me.

O.K., well it's getting a bit tricky, but where there's a will there's a way.
    Also if you were annoying me I wouldn't write back, so that clears that up.
    Obviously they have left their scent everywhere, so you have to get rid of that first, go to pet shop or vets and get a cleaner that elimantes odours.
    Or on every spot they have left a deposit put something there so they can't do it in that same spot again. (cardboard box, plant, anything).
    Now confine them to one area only, put down some paper, everywhere. when they have piddled in one spot halve the paper in the area, keeping the piddled/pooed piece, place it in the centre of the rest of the paper. It's a long process, I have done it myself, it does work, patience.
    when you get them to do buisness there write back.

I have tried nature's miracle to remove scents. I will try it again as you suggested unless you know a better product and try the technique you suggested. Thanks a million