Thread: Obedience Training

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Petals is my 14 month old Golden Retriever whom I have had since she was 6 wks old. (female spayed). She has been through Obedience Train 3xs twice with Pet stores and 1x with an in home trainer. The in home worked much better. I want to really get her in shape with her commands. For instance she DOESNT ALWAYS come when I call her especially at Doggie Park. I want to stop her from chewing cotton from inside our couch. I need her commands to be ROCK SOLID as we are bringing home a new puppy (her sister) next summer. Petals natural parents are mating again late Spring and we hope to get her sister. Oh I should add that Petals is completely submissive outside the home. She generally gets into mischief when my 11 yr old daughter is doggie sitting on our bowling night. I have instructed daughter to shake penny can at Petals if she goes near the cotton in the couch.

Senior Dog Member

I've found that being quick with a no and a leash correction help. It teaches the dog that if it doesn't listen - it's going to get yelled at.

Practice all the basic commands with your dog. Tell her to sit - if she doesn't do it automatically, say "no" and give a correction at the same time. You have to be quick with the corrections. My old dog was real bad at taking his time doing everything. I spent 15 min a day with him, teaching him that when I gave him a command - I meant now. Keep working with her - work on it for 15 minutes a day, and have everyone be consistent.

Maybe try keeping a tab leash on her in the house (it's shorter than a normal leash - only like a foot long). This way you can give her a correction whenever she does something naughty. I use choke chains on my dogs - but I wouldn't recommend them for all day use (I get paranoid about my dogs getting snagged and choking).

Do not give up - and never, ever let her get her way (or be slow - for that matter). Also - for the doggie park, you might want to practice the comes in the doggie park on a long lead.

Good Luck with everything, she sounds like a smart pup - it won't take her long to catch on.

Full Member Full Dog Member

In lieu of a choke chain I have discovered the gentle leader or haltie type training collars. If any of you have had association with a herding dog you know that their instincts kick in and without consistent and disciplined training they can be a challenge as a house pal. We live on a ranch with cattle and horses and our border collie/red heeler cattle dog mix is tempted to her limits...her services are not required and it goes against her nature. Whenever we would go for walks it was a constant straining on her neck and my arm. She would respond to the heel command, but it was just torture for her and she would break ranks before long. I was absolutely amazed at the response the head halter type collar evoked in her. She fought it and made an issue of wanting it off, but when she realized I was in charge and she did not have a choice she settled in. Just a gentle tug gets the most amazing results and no fear of damage to her throat from the hard, cold metal of a choke chain... I detest even the sound of that. It has a bit of the appearance of a muzzle with the thin strap across the nose, but it in no way inhibits any mouth movement. Using halters on horses this seemed logical (just without the bit and double rein). She is graduating out of it and as we work I drop the nose strap and it becomes a normal collar.... if she yanks..back goes the nose strap and she settles right down and walks like an angel. She is learning that in order to have the nose strap removed she must not pull on the leash... again consistency is the key. Love, praise and reward for good behavior get the best results in the long run... and a dog who is obedient because he loves and respects you... not because he/she is afraid of punishment is far more rewarding for you and your best friend.
    Lou in Texas

Senior Dog Member

I used a haltie on my last dog. It worked well for walking - but I had a big stubborn dog who was oblivious to anything put his own wants. I just found that I was able to get through to him a little better using a choke chain. i think this dog felt no pain - he once jumped out of a car going 35 mph - rolled a couple times - and took off (He was fine - I on the other hand, was a basket case!)

I think it all depends on your dog. I haven't had to use anything other than a normal collar and leash with my pup. Find out what works best for you and your dog.

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member
    We found a pinch collar works great and it doesn't choke them out.

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This thread is over a year old. I am closing. Please start a new thread if you wish to discuss this topic

Dax