Thread: Acorns are toxic to dogs

Master Groomer Senior Dog Member+ Cearbhaill's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Acorns are toxic to dogs

After watching Owen snarf down a couple of acorns this morning I did a bit of research and found out that yes, if a dog eats enough of them they can indeed cause problems. From what I read a dog needs to consume 6% of their body weight to suffer kidney and liver damage, but found no clear description if this is cumulative or not.
    They can also cause an obstruction.

Symptoms of acorn poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhea (possibly bloody).

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=18369
    http://www.fairfield-vets.co.uk/ic/dog/smudge.htm

Banned (temp) Senior Dog Member+
    Blog Entries
    Very timely post because here the acorns come.. Good reminder. Also undigested acorns can cause blockage as well..

Did not know that....thanks very much for posting!
    HASTA LA VIZSLA, BABY!!
    Dash Jan 28/05-Oct 08/10

Banned Senior Dog Member+
    Maybe it is true, but I had a Cairn Terrier that would stand in the driveway, and happily much on them like she was at a buffet. 6% of body weight would be a lot of acorn eating, even for a 15lb dog. that is more than pound of acorns. She was never sick.
    Food for thoght.....If I drank 6% of my body weight in alcohol, I would probably die too.

Master Groomer Senior Dog Member+ Cearbhaill's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JTP View Post
    Maybe it is true, but I had a Cairn Terrier that would stand in the driveway, and happily much on them like she was at a buffet. 6% of body weight would be a lot of acorn eating, even for a 15lb dog. that is more than pound of acorns. She was never sick.
    Food for thoght.....If I drank 6% of my body weight in alcohol, I would probably die too.
    Yep- that 6% number made me feel alot better, because Owen would have had to eat over seven pounds.
    But then again the source for that number is a random item found on the internet, so I don't know how much real stock I'd put in it.

I won't freak if I see him eating one or two, but will most definitely step in if he gets too obsessed with them. I have many, many oaks here.

^Corgwn Madness^ Senior Dog Member+
    Yes, I too agree great post! For the time of year especially. The path through our woods is a virtual carpet of them. Also my mother put LOTS out as decorations during the season, something else to remember before getting a new dog.

Once they fall, Maia scarfs down every one she can find. No matter how much I rake, I can't get them quick enough. She's never had a problem, but I guess I'm going to have to try harder to keep up with them. I can always tell when she's been snacking on them though, because she's foaming around her mouth, like they are very bitter or something. Yech!

Full Member Full Dog Member vac1102's Avatar
    Thanks, all we have in the yard are oak trees. I think there are about 25 and Isabel and Zoe are both bad about picking up acrons.

A friend almost lost her Irish Terrier when he was a puppy because he ate an acorn, it laserated a bit of his stomach. I don't think he got the memo to chew them first. As a side note acorns can be milled in to flower for humans to cook with, so yea it would take tons of them to make a normal healthy dog sick.
    Serenity begins when you stop expecting and start accepting