Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quality Food For Dogs With Colitis

Blog Entries

Quality Food For Dogs With Colitis

It looks like Max is going to be with us for a while, maybe forever. He has colitis and is on a bland diet of dry food only. They feed him cr**, Pro Plan for Sensitive Stomach I know there has to be a good quality food for dogs with this condition. Any suggestions? Is there anything I can add to his food like pure chicken or turkey?
    Life is short, play with your dog!

What can't Max have? Can the food be just grain free?
    Love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.

Kabil Gibran

Glitches Be Crazy Senior Dog Moderator RoughCollies's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Perhaps a limited ingredient diet? I would talk to the vet about it. I know with Kraemer a raw diet was what was best, but we just had EVO instead.
    Glitch - Shannon Down Wreck it Ralph
    Spencer Sprout Dixie

Sugar Rush Whippets

Master Groomer Senior Dog Member+ Cearbhaill's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It's not so much that one thing works better than others for all GI issue dogs. What sets him off may not bother another dog with the same disease.

Start with simple things like California Natural and keep written notes about dates and reactions. If that doesn't work try a completely different protein source food, and once you find something that works stick with it. The hardest part will be getting family members and friends to never ever treat with anything other than safe foods.
    Never. Ever.

Our second IW rescue had gastric problems so severe that she had portions of her small intestine removed. She was fine as long as we never deviated from the foods she tolerated, but once a co-worker of mine gave her some pizza and she was back for another round of hospital time, and it cost me a fortune.

People wonder why I am such a hard *** about people giving treats to my animals without asking, and this is why

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
    It's not so much that one thing works better than others for all GI issue dogs. What sets him off may not bother another dog with the same disease.

Start with simple things like California Natural and keep written notes about dates and reactions. If that doesn't work try a completely different protein source food, and once you find something that works stick with it. The hardest part will be getting family members and friends to never ever treat with anything other than safe foods.
    Never. Ever.

Our second IW rescue had gastric problems so severe that she had portions of her small intestine removed. She was fine as long as we never deviated from the foods she tolerated, but once a co-worker of mine gave her some pizza and she was back for another round of hospital time, and it cost me a fortune.

People wonder why I am such a hard *** about people giving treats to my animals without asking, and this is why
    Would any brand of Sensitive Stomach formula work? I know that Wellness has a special formula for dogs with digestive problems.

Master Groomer Senior Dog Member+ Cearbhaill's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I never used anything formulated for "sensitive stomachs". I just tried different things until I found the right food. If he is doing well now, try adding some of whatever you feed your other dog- take a long time to switch and consider using some digestive enzymes and probiotics. Could be that they can eat the same thing- it's worth a try.

In cases like this I am always curious about whatever set off the colitis to begin with and I think nine times out of ten it was when the dog got a hold of something he shouldn't have. That sets off a reaction and then they are forever after designated "colitis dogs" and tippy toed around food wise.

When we got our particular IW bitch she had scads of medical records, surgeries, special diets- they whole million dollar rigmarole. That's why they gave her up- she was costing them a fortune. After a year or so of careful management she stabilized quite well and ate what the other dogs ate. It was just human food bits that set her off into raging episodes of hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, and her family had two children who I'm sure were sneaking her food. As long as we were careful and learned to keep food put away she did fine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
    I never used anything formulated for "sensitive stomachs". I just tried different things until I found the right food. If he is doing well now, try adding some of whatever you feed your other dog- take a long time to switch and consider using some digestive enzymes and probiotics. Could be that they can eat the same thing- it's worth a try.

In cases like this I am always curious about whatever set off the colitis to begin with and I think nine times out of ten it was when the dog got a hold of something he shouldn't have. That sets off a reaction and then they are forever after designated "colitis dogs" and tippy toed around food wise.

When we got our particular IW bitch she had scads of medical records, surgeries, special diets- they whole million dollar rigmarole. That's why they gave her up- she was costing them a fortune. After a year or so of careful management she stabilized quite well and ate what the other dogs ate. It was just human food bits that set her off into raging episodes of hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, and her family had two children who I'm sure were sneaking her food. As long as we were careful and learned to keep food put away she did fine.
    Good to know, thanks. They tell me someone tried to poison him when he lived in Puerto Rico.

water dogs rock!! Senior Dog Member+ HovawartMom's Avatar
    Stress can cause colitis!.I was given this natural product to try on Titus and will order it,today!.That person used for colitis and any problems related to digestive problems!.in her case,it took care of the problem!.If you want the link,will PM it to you!.Apparently a box last long cos you don't use a lot!.
    Slippery Elm Bark Powder ( Ulmus rubra ) - 4 oz. Bulk

Slippery Elm Bark Powder is a soothing nutritive demulcent which is perfectly suited for sensitive or inflamed mucous membrane linings in the digestive system. Slippery Elm Bark Powder is used in the treatment of gastritis, gastric or duodenal ulcer, enteritis, colitis and the like. It is often used as a food during convalescence as it is gentle and easily assimilated. In diarrhoea, slippery elm bark will soothe and astringe at the same time. Grieve's classic 'A Modern Herbal': (Slippery Elm Bark) The bark of this American Elm is considered one of the most valuable remedies in herbal practice, the abundant mucilage it contains having wonderfully strengthening and healing qualities. Slippery ELm Bark not only has a most soothing and healing action on all the parts it comes in contact with, but in addition possesses as much nutrition as is contained in oatmeal, and when made into gruel forms a wholesome and sustaining food for infants and invalids. It forms the basis of many patent foods. Slippery Elm Food is generally made by mixing a teaspoonful of the powder into a thin and perfectly smooth paste with cold water and then pouring on a pint of boiling water, steadily stirring meanwhile. It can, if desired, be flavoured with cinnamon, nutmeg or lemon rind. This makes an excellent drink in cases of irritation of the mucous membrane of the stomach and intestines, and taken at night will induce sleep. A Slippery Elm compound excellent for coughs is made as follows: Cut obliquely one or more ounces of bark into pieces about the thickness of a match; add a pinch of Cayenne flavour with a slice of lemon and sweeten, infusing the whole in a pint of boiling water and letting it stand for 25 minutes. Suggested Dosage or Use: 1 tsp. 2 to 3 times a day depending on condition

The person use it on her dog and it apparently took care of the problem!.
    As you know Titus got it from when I left for France and not yet,much better so he's still on antibiotics !.The vet did tell me that Canidae (lamb/rice or chicken/rice) would be fine and though Canidae was a good food!.
    My Golden's slideshow:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3cQhJc2LDM
    My Hovawart's slideshow:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh_1toD6xtc
    If you don't like a wet,shedding dog,don't get a Golden or an Hovawart!.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by golden&hovawart View Post
    Stress can cause colitis!.I was given this natural product to try on Titus and will order it,today!.That person used for colitis and any problems related to digestive problems!.in her case,it took care of the problem!.If you want the link,will PM it to you!.Apparently a box last long cos you don't use a lot!.
    Slippery Elm Bark Powder ( Ulmus rubra ) - 4 oz. Bulk

Slippery Elm Bark Powder is a soothing nutritive demulcent which is perfectly suited for sensitive or inflamed mucous membrane linings in the digestive system. Slippery Elm Bark Powder is used in the treatment of gastritis, gastric or duodenal ulcer, enteritis, colitis and the like. It is often used as a food during convalescence as it is gentle and easily assimilated. In diarrhoea, slippery elm bark will soothe and astringe at the same time. Grieve's classic 'A Modern Herbal': (Slippery Elm Bark) The bark of this American Elm is considered one of the most valuable remedies in herbal practice, the abundant mucilage it contains having wonderfully strengthening and healing qualities. Slippery ELm Bark not only has a most soothing and healing action on all the parts it comes in contact with, but in addition possesses as much nutrition as is contained in oatmeal, and when made into gruel forms a wholesome and sustaining food for infants and invalids. It forms the basis of many patent foods. Slippery Elm Food is generally made by mixing a teaspoonful of the powder into a thin and perfectly smooth paste with cold water and then pouring on a pint of boiling water, steadily stirring meanwhile. It can, if desired, be flavoured with cinnamon, nutmeg or lemon rind. This makes an excellent drink in cases of irritation of the mucous membrane of the stomach and intestines, and taken at night will induce sleep. A Slippery Elm compound excellent for coughs is made as follows: Cut obliquely one or more ounces of bark into pieces about the thickness of a match; add a pinch of Cayenne flavour with a slice of lemon and sweeten, infusing the whole in a pint of boiling water and letting it stand for 25 minutes. Suggested Dosage or Use: 1 tsp. 2 to 3 times a day depending on condition

The person use it on her dog and it apparently took care of the problem!.
    As you know Titus got it from when I left for France and not yet,much better so he's still on antibiotics !.The vet did tell me that Canidae (lamb/rice or chicken/rice) would be fine and though Canidae was a good food!.
    Wow this is fantastic! Pming you now.

water dogs rock!! Senior Dog Member+ HovawartMom's Avatar
    PM is sent!.
    I also have a great article on colitis in dogs!.Do you want me to PM it to you?.L
    My Golden's slideshow:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3cQhJc2LDM
    My Hovawart's slideshow:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh_1toD6xtc
    If you don't like a wet,shedding dog,don't get a Golden or an Hovawart!.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast