Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Puppy making older dogs sick

Frigid North, Also known as Alberta, Canada.
    I believe, correct me if i am wrong, that vaccinated dogs can and still will pass parvo through into their feces.

Got Sheltie? Senior Dog Member+ weezyNollie's Avatar
    You are probably thinking about parasites. If an animal has parvo, they will exhibit symptoms and have it. It's not like parasites where they can pass eggs, but not be showing signs.

Now if you are thinking parvo can be carried by other vectors and such, then yes. Parvo can be carried airborne, and fecal/oral. Meaning if a fly lands on a parvo dog's fecal material, then flies down the block into a home and lands on the food dish. Then that dog licks the dish.. bam, parvo.

I just don't think it's possible for a dog to have a dormant parvovirus and not exhibit signs or have the virus. Never seen it or heard of it?
    The Herding Herd.
    Brooke, Weezy, Ollie, and Ralphie

www.coloradoanimalrescue.org

Thanks Weezy. I was just very put off how these people brought an 8 week old puppy into a dog park not knowing if this pup has had any of his shots. The NEW owner of the pup stayed there through the whole mastiff meetup. The adult dogs would go up and give him a sniff and at 8 weeks old this pup was showing teeth! (Probably just scared). There were over 40 mastiffs there not including this pup. I told the organizer of the meetup that if this was going to happen again to please inform me so I can keep my dog/s home.
    Love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.

Kabil Gibran

Master Groomer Senior Dog Member+ Cearbhaill's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by weezyNollie View Post
    Although, once again, there shouldn't be any intact animals at a dog park anyway! Yet, I still see people bringing their intact males or females to the parks.
    I have an intact male that goes to a dog park.

I think their behavior is more the issue than their reproductive status. As long as a dog is well behaved and properly supervised I see no reason why they should not enjoy the social aspects of interacting with other dogs.
    A poorly socialized, wild, untrained neutered dog is much more a problem to park dogs than my guy. Don't blame the testicles- blame the behavior!

Got Sheltie? Senior Dog Member+ weezyNollie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post

I think their behavior is more the issue than their reproductive status. As long as a dog is well behaved and properly supervised I see no reason why they should not enjoy the social aspects of interacting with other dogs.
    A poorly socialized, wild, untrained neutered dog is much more a problem to park dogs than my guy. Don't blame the testicles- blame the behavior!
    It's a bit of both.. behavior mixed with hormones. Louise is often a magnet for intact males, as they always want to mount her. For the first several trips to a particular dog park in my area she had a miserable time and began hating the park. I stopped going because of all the intact males deciding she was bait.

I am sure there are exceptions to the rule, but in Colorado it's dog park LAW to not have intact dogs there. You can be ticketed for such.
    The Herding Herd.
    Brooke, Weezy, Ollie, and Ralphie

www.coloradoanimalrescue.org

Quote Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post

I have never had a problem with Orson, and he is intact. I have to agree with Cearb.
    Love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.

Kabil Gibran

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12