Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how to groom puppy who hates brush?

Question how to groom puppy who hates brush?

Sweeney hates the brush, the only way he will let me brush him is if i hold a treat in my closed hand and let him lick it through the hole (like a kong, but my hand) i was wondering if anyone has used those brush gloves and if they work. also he was just trimmed last month (his feet, bottom and eyes, and he needs it again. is there any suggestions to get him to let me do this at home instead of having to send him to the groomer every month. he will let me put the trimmer on him (cutting edge pointed away) but the mintue i turn it towards him he starts to freak out. i even checked to see if it was pulling his hair or hurting in any way (its a remington trimmer, my husband got as a gift and never used). the hair on his face keeps going into his eyes (making lots of eye boogies) but i cant get him to settle down enough to trim it. the hair on his feet has grown so long its covering his pads, and his bottom gets dirty when he potties. all three areas could have used a cut a week after he was at the groomer. any suggestions?

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My dogs didn't like being groomed either as puppies. They always took it to be a game. Using a grooming table might help, as repetition. Even if you are just using your hand. Make sure you use small light strokes and do a little a day. If he lets you work on him for a minute - praise then gradually increase the time til you can do the whole dog.

he'd rather eat the brush and scoots away from it if its in my hand. i read that you're supposed to let the dog get used to the brush before using it on him, he thought it was a toy and he even barks at it if its on the floor.

Full Member Full Dog Member pups4me's Avatar
    My dog doesn`t like to be groom either he tries to bite his brush my trainer said to keep him occupied with something else while I brush him i don`t know if it`ll work though.
    I LOVE SHIH TZU!
    www.milothemuppy.piczo.com
    visit milo's webpage

i bought a huge greenie, and hold it for him while i brush him, that seems to work better than holding a treat in my closed hand, plus the greenie lasts longer. but i have to hold it or he will growl when i touch him while he's eating the greenie, so i only have use of one hand. i live in a small apt. (big yard though) so i don't have much room, and don't know where i'd put a grooming table.

BoingBoing=Springers Senior Dog Member+ Ken Nielsen's Avatar
    You can use your dining table as a grooming table if you get one of the separate detachable grooming stand arms with loop. They have a clamp meant to attach to your own table and can be attached to a 1/2" piece of board which you can attach to the end of your table using protective smaller wood scr a ps and two super large 'C' clamps to hold the board onto the table, then attach the stand to that - as most dining tables are too thick to take the grooming arm clamp directly. Vacuum and clean up well after you are done and no one needs to know the difference.
    Last edited by Ken Nielsen; 04-19-2005 at 02:36 PM.

Senior Dog Member
    Luckily Mike has short coat so doesn't need brushing much at all.

Luckily because it is difficult to do because it is a favorite chew toy to chew handle, throw and run after, etc. so he goes after it when I try to use it.

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I use blunt tipped scissors for the eye area.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

Sweeney had his first trip to the groomers yesterday. he is gorgeous. i got a lecture and a lesson from the groomer when we went to pick him up. she showed me how to alpha hold him the correct way (he tried to bite her) and showed me how to make him stand like a good boy. she told me that when i was trying to brush him on the floor it was putting us on the same level and since he thinks he's alpha, thats why he was fighting me so much. i have a nightstand in my hallway, right at the top of my stairs, that just had junk on it, so i cleared it off, we're going to use it as a mini-grooming stand. i need to get a rubber mat for traction (so he doesnt slip off) and something to hold his leash(like a groomers noose). she sugested a bath-tub mat, but i was wondering if i could use that rubber cupboard liner material, the stuff that comes in a roll, and you can cut to size, not contac paper, this is rubber, some people use it to keep throw rugs from slipping. what can i use to hold his leash? any suggestions?
    so last night, it was raining and he had wet feet when he came in, on a whim, i put his towel on the stand, and set him on it. i made him stand like the groomer showed me, and he let me dry his feet. and this morning the same thing, plus he let me brush him, at least the top part and the belly fur, i didnt want to push my luck all at one shot(she told me to do a little at a time, even if it takes all day to get him done) so we will try for the insides of his legs, his armpits, and under his tail later on tonight.
    i think it will be even better once he is more secure on there, but what a change, just with the location, floor vs higher. and since he started letting me do this, his biting of me has lessend a bit. he bites my husband now. he stops and looks at me when i say 'OOOOH WHAT ARE YOU DOING' when he starts biting me, not all the time mind you, but it is becoming more frequent(the stopping, that is, not the biting).

sorry for the super long post.
    Courtney Comfort
    I look at life lately, like its a puzzle box. All the pieces have to be in the right order for it to open up and release the prize inside.

Back for a minute.. Senior Dog Member ChandraRae's Avatar
    Good for you! The rubber cabinet liner should work! Also, if you can, put a hook in the wall (like a plant hanger hook) and you can attach his leash to that!

Keep us posted!
    "I thought it was completely obvious by now that I have no idea what I'm doing."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast