Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PBGV (Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen)

Blog Entries

PBGV (Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen)

Has anyone in the forums owned/had any experience with a PBGV? I am curious about their temperament, energy, how vocal they are, grooming requirements, etc..
    --------------------------------------
    "Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do." - Goethe

Banned (temp) Senior Dog Member+
    Blog Entries
    Only contact I have had with them is at dog shows. In what I have met, they are pretty vocal, but lovely outgoing temperments. May I suggest you get in touch with the club, some breeders and at shows etc to learn more how they are to live with.

RIP Julianna my Love Senior Dog Member+ FairyDogMother's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't know a whole lot about them but I do think they're one of the very cutest little dogs around!
    I have considered this or a mix of as a rescue as a possibility a million years from now when Oliver has left me if when I'm really old and feeble and if I want another small dog at that time!
    If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.
    ~Collar of Hope~

Senior Dog Member+ groominglady's Avatar
    I had one as a teenager. She was somewhat vocal (it's in the breed description) and was the oddest combination of hound independence and terrier tenacity. She was easy to care for, moderately difficult to train (not as bad as a basenji or a Yorkie, but no Golden Retriever) and would have been a roamer. She was prone to flea allergies and had to be put down from a slipped disc at the age of nine.

Harriet was a fun dog to have overall, though. She was active, sunny, didn't have a mean bone in her body, and pretty cute to boot. The allergies were pretty easy to contain and would be more so now with Advantage and other medications available. I have no idea whether they are prone to back problems or if it was just this one dog.

I would say the PBGV was a repeatable experience.

Master Groomer Senior Dog Member+ Cearbhaill's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Did yours have chronic ear infections?
    Those I have groomed always had yucky ears.

Bee-See-Luv-R Senior Dog Member+ Bclover92's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I love pbgv's! Such a cute breed!

Now you are making me want one!
    Abby and the Defying Gravity Dogs
    Ammardans Skyes the Limit CGC AX OAJ XF 0/3 AXJ 1/10 MXF 4/10 MX <3 Heart Dog
    DarnFars Footprints on the Moon CGC NA OAJ NF 2/3 OA 1/3 AXJ 1/3 OF *My Reason to Smile*
    Heaven's Gift Levi Gabriel *Family Friend*

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
    Did yours have chronic ear infections?
    Those I have groomed always had yucky ears.
    I heard that as well but only seen those in shows so I am not sure.

I used to pet sit a family of PBGV's. The owner showed them, so they stayed in great condition, but I imagine they have the propensity for ear infections moreso than a lot of other breeds.

The ones I cared for were lively, fairly vocal (they'd shut up when you told them to), and very affectionate. I'm not a huge fan of hounds normally, but I did grow pretty fond of these guys.
    You have not converted someone just because you have silenced them. - John Morley

Blog Entries
    there is a difference from scent hounds to sighthounds.. Big difference but yes they are vocal

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom View Post
    there is a difference from scent hounds to sighthounds.. Big difference but yes they are vocal
    ?

Not sure who this was directed at. I'm aware of the difference in sighthounds and scent hounds. I was answering the question pertaining to scent hounds, since that was what the topic is about....not sighthounds.

And yes, I know they are vocal. I stated I pet sat for a family of PBGV's. I'm familiar with the breed.
    You have not converted someone just because you have silenced them. - John Morley

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast